Are you considering turning your car into the C.A.R.S. program?

I just want to put his bit of information out there for all to ponder... This program has the ability to hurt the middle class and poor people in more ways than one...
- Many CARS vehicles are still a reliable, cost effective alternative for poorer consumers to purchase, but will be destroyed.
- Used car dealerships are losing their potential inventory to the program (hurting small business owners)
-All the used parts that scrap yards and recyclers would have resold are destroyed.
-It's actually wasteful and counterproductive to be"going green" (if that's your mantra) You are replacing old with new - but think of all the energy wasted in destroying a useful vehicle to get a more "efficient" (by 2 mpg as program requires)vehicle. We should be repairing vehicles and keeping good maintenance.
-Unwitting individuals may be actually less than vehicle's worth...
This just seems especially offensive when we are in this recession.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• NOPE! Naturally I got a new car last Christmas, and my husband's 10 year old work car with over 150,000 miles on it gets ONE MILE more per gallon, and does NOT qualify! And our 1999 Pathfinder with almost 300,000 miles on it that we use for "Home Depot" runs, doesn't qualify either because of the MPG cut-off!

So we'll just be keeping those gas-guzzling clunkers (which never have a problem passing emissions inspections), until which time, as we can afford to buy new(er) 2nd and 3rd cars--probably in a year or two.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• With all the people who need cheap reliable transportation, it's just wrong to destroy cars that can get them to work.

My first car was a "clunker" by this admin's standards. What will the teens drive?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• yeah, this program was one of the most ridiculous plans I have seen yet. We have 2 cars-one is a 91 Explorer. It has 200,000 miles on it and one of the best cars around. By blue book value, it is worth less than $1,000. To us though it is worth 10x's as much. It disgusts me that this program is supposed to "help the economy" but this is just digging our country and our people deeper and deeper into debt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, this is definitely killing me right now. I've been overseas with my husband for the last few years and since I'm coming home now I need a car to drive. Well we don't have a lot of money to be spending and don't want to be under years of car payments just to have something to get me back and forth from school and work, but it looks like that is our only option. It is really hard to find a $2,500 car these days with this silly program going on.... UGHHHH
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Didn't the program, expire already?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:42 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No. First of all, I can't afford a new car, even with the $3500-$4000. I've never bought a new car in my life. Any car I've purchased have had a few years and a few miles on it (in other words, someone else's trade in) and I tend to run my cars into the ground. My husband's car has over 111,000 on it and mine has over 75,000 on it and they still run great. I don't know why we have to have junk perfectly drivable cars. The program has been good for car sales, but used car sales are now suffering.
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 7:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• This will just be another fannie/freddie like debacle.There will be people who could not afford the new flashy car who suddenly cannot make the payments.Theyd of been better off keeping their old cars which from what I hear alot of them were in good shape.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No I will not be turning my van into the cash for clunkers, because I can not afford a new car.

Who really cares if I drive a 2002 Pontiac Montana! I have one of the last Pontiac's to drive still.

It's mine and it is 100% paid for!

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The ONLY "successful" program the azzhole will leave office having implemented....................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Destroying a car that still runs is wasteful and bad for the environment. Many of the new cars people bought only get 1 or 2 MPG better mileage than the clunkers.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2009