Pacifiers and sippeys

My son is 13 months old and I am wondering when I should take the pacifier and sippeys away at night and at during nap time?

cheermickey

Asked by cheermickey at 2:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son ditched his paci at six months...whether he thought he needed to or not. LOL

As for the sippy cups, he still uses them because they are cleaner. I bought the "Take n Toss" cups with a straw. He uses them at mealtimes.

Occasionally I give him a mug of milk to practice with. He does good, but he seems to not drink much from them. I thin as he gets older and more steady I will give the mug to him more.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 2:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my rule with the paci is as soon as he starts trying to talk with it in his mouth, its gone. he still gets it when he is hurting or at bed time.
    he gets a sippy of milk with meals and he keeps one full of water all day....I plan on letting him have it until he masters a real cup. I keep a glass of water on my bed stand for me and he should be able to also.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:27 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'd try to keep the pacifier away during the day and if necessary just give it at night, then at some point you just dont give it at all, eventually they forget about it. My daughter loved hers but I think around 13 or 14 months is when we finally just took it away for good, it seems she started talking more after we took it away, but she always wanted it to fall asleep so it took awhile to get used to having to really help her fall asleep at night, but its better for her. She still has a sippy cup at 16 months, I've removed the piece that slows the flow so that she can start learning to use a real cup, she sometimes just uses cups with lids and straws though. She only gets drinks during meals and then a couple times during the day, especially if its hot, but I'm starting to limit her drinks before bed so I can start potty training. So sooner you get rid of the pacifier the better, no problem keeping sippys around for awhile.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 5:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2009