Is 9/11 a holy day?

I am curious to see your responses. I am saddened by the 9/11 tragedy, but don't feel as though it is or should be a holy day.
I read a question about Obama planning to "desecrate" this day, and that can only happen if it is considered holy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't need a continuous broadcast of the planes flying into the WTC or the Pentagon. Thank you very much. I remember without it being a media event.  I remember the schools and PTA not knowing how to deal with the children whose parents worked in the city.   What do we tell them, do we send them home, will there be anybody there.  I remember the count coming in of how many fathers were lost. I remember the LIE being closed westbound.  Now that was weird!  I remember the aircraft carrier in the Atlantic just off the Robert Moses Beach.  I remember no planes in the skies and then the early morning military flights.  So no I don't need a 24/7 loop.  Just a moment of silence.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• A day for rememberance, honoring, and reflecting. YES. A holy day, NO.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• NOT a holy day. It is sad and should be remembered, but how can it be considered a holy day??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No, it's not and should not be considered a holy day, but it should be a day of remembrance on the scale of a National Holiday--whether it is actually observed or not is up to the government or each state (like MLK Day, Presidents Day, Veterans Day, etc.).

I think people NEED to remember the events of this day. Sadly, too many people quickly forgot, especially those living in a part of the country unaffected by it. I also think a 24/7 loop of the planes flying into the WTC towers and the Pentagon, needs to be played that day. It SHOULD be "uncomfortable" to watch people jumping to their deaths from the towers, it SHOULD infuriate you, and it SHOULD sadden you at the same time!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with Lorikeet
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Agree with Lori as well.I do not think the rememberance of that day should be shoved off for something else.I find that disgraceful myself.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• As usual I also agree with Lori!

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 8:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I personally think they should show the planes flying into the WTC and the pentagon daily. I think we as a country have forgotten what these extremist are all about. They plan on ways to destroy this country and kill our people daily.

amygray

Answer by amygray at 10:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Anon above-ITA.
    I remember caring for my nephews ages 5,3,and 2 while their mom was grounded in Atlanta for 2 days and their father was wait listed to NYC (search and rescue).

I do not need a media circus of events surrounding this day. Never forgetting is not the same as being hit over the head with a hammer 1 day a year. Never forget means remembering EVERY day of the year.

What purpose does reliving the horror every year serve? Talk to any mental health Professional and they'd tell you exactly why that approach is not healthy. Remembering with calm dignity and respect does not been forgetting or minimizing the loss-

This is not about ME-try that approach-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If you play a 24/7 loop of it, people will become desensitized to it. That's not a good idea at all. I'm not saying it shouldn't be shown, just don't overdo it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009