Need advice from moms whos boys are circumcised...

I have done research and really dont see anything that is "bad" about it, but still thought it wasnt needed. But DH says there is no choice our son will be circumcised. So my question is...How is the care after wards? Are they in pain when you change their diaper, if so for how long? Is its really easier to take care of? I need alot of help from people who have actually done this, not a googed site! Thanks!! This is our first boy, we have a DD but obviously didnt have this issue with her lol

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 3:09 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All 3 of my boys are circed. My first son, cried everytime I changed his diaper. My other two didn't bother them a bit. Make sure to use alot of vaseline and put in in the diaper not on his pee pee. I had a lovely nurse show me what I was doing wrong with my first son lol. They were given tyelenol by the nurses. I know my youngest was knocked out and I believe the others were too so they weren't awake during the circ. The first two I swear doesn't look right, but that's just because they have excess skin. Just make sure to keep it clean and use alot of vaseline, if you don't that would cause him some pain when changing each diaper. It can stick to the diaper if you don't have vaseline. It may look red for a week or less then it will be healed when you don't see it looking like rudolph's red nose. My youngest took a few days h was a quicker healer then my older two were.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 3:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son didn't seem to be bothered by it, except for the first time when we got home because he had gauze on and every time he peed it would burn because of the gauze. I took off the gauze and kept a layer of Vaseline all around the head of his penis where the incision was and he did just fine. It healed up in 10 days. I'd recommend putting the Vaseline on his penis rather than the diaper because if the diaper moves and there's no Vaseline in that area it will hurt. With it applied directly to his penis it hurts less. They won't put him to sleep, and he will feel some pain even with an anesthetic. My doctor said I wasn't allowed to feed DS an hour before the appointment and unfortunately that's when he woke up so I wasn't allowed to feed him. That's the only thing he was upset about though. The procedure didn't seem to bother him much when he was brought out to me. My son is four months old and it is MUCH easier to take CONT
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 3:34 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We had my son done at 4 and a half months and quite honestly I cried more than he did, they numb the area (if they are a month or older) the care was easy just be gentle the dr. will give you which specific things he would like you to use on it and honestly my son NEVER seemed bothered by it. I am pregnant again and if its a boy we will be getting him cut as well.
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 3:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• CONT care of. I had to wait two weeks until we could get him circumcised, and I of course cleaned him in that time. I really do think it's easier to clean when there is no skin covering the head because if he's uncircumcised you can't pull back the skin too far since it is painful so it is harder to get in there to clean it.

Hope this helped. Good luck and congratulations!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 3:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• we got our son done before we left the hospital, care was an ease and he didnt seem bothered by it at all...

SemperFiWifey06

Answer by SemperFiWifey06 at 7:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I had my son done before we left the hospital. Caring for it was easy, and it did not seem to bother him at all! They give you everything you need and are more than willing to help you in the hospital. I would recommend having it done before you left the hospital. They are young enough to not remember and small enough to care for it properly without too much wiggling around. Good Luck Momma, and I am sure you will do what is right for you and your baby!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We had my son done before we left the hospital and he didn't seem bothered by it at all... I wasn't sure I wanted to do it either but when my husband and I were talking about it my cousin called who's son is not circed and I asked her opinion and got an ear full!! She said that he is 2 1/2 and is on his 3rd infection down there... I consider her a pretty clean person, too.. but she can't seem to keep that area clean enough.. Well I guess they are going to get him circed now, but because he is older, he will have to be knocked out for the procedure and it will cost them 4000 to get it done!!
    livs_purs

Answer by livs_purs at 8:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We had our son(s) circumcised and it was easy to take care of. There are two different ways they do it - my older sons had it done one way (with a "bell" device which was VERY easy to take care of) and my younger son was done the other way (needed gauze and vaseline to take care of it), so you may want to look online at the ways it's performed and ask your dr which way he/she will use.

Answer by missanc at 8:42 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• All 3 of my sons are circumsized and none of them seemed bothered by it even with diaper changes. Just make sure it stays clean and use vasaline on it every diaper change for about a week afterwards. They are given pain meds at the time of the procedure.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• All three of mine are circumcised. All three basically slept through the procedure and changing diapers wasn't that tough.

Keep a piece of gauze with vaseline on it over the penis in the diaper until the penis has healed. The vaseline helps to keep anything from sticking. Just make sure to keep it clean (make sure you wipe off any poop that might get up that far).

None of mine ever cried during a diaper change...not until later when they started fighting the diaper changes closer to a year! LOL

It took less than a week to heal.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:09 AM on Aug. 25, 2009