How can you remove Desitin from hair?

My 3-year-old DD got into some Desitin and it was all over her, including her hair. I was able to remove most of it off her skin with baby wipes but there's still quite a bit in her hair even after shampooing it.

Omayra_M

Asked by Omayra_M at 3:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well peanut butter is good for gum, if it can get the gum out of your hair why not desitin, it's worth a shot?
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Did you use a baby shampoo? There are less surfactants in baby shampoos, so that could be part of the problem--desitin contains zinc oxide, lanolin, and petroleum, which are all HIGHLY water insoluble...which means it repels water, so you should probably try a good scrubbing with straight liquid soap.

But if that doesn't work either, I second giving peanut butter a try...it couldn't hurt...peanut butter has a high oil content and will attract the hydrophobic (water insoluable) desitin. Oils are generally easier to wash out (even though they are also hydrophobic), they react better to surfactants. Mayo is an alternative, if you suspect a peanut allergy.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Easy one. Dawn Dish Soap
    Elk_Hunter

Answer by Elk_Hunter at 11:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with the dawn dish soap, if it will clean oil off of animals it will clean Desitin up easy. Just be careful not to get the soap in her eyes.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 12:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Thanks ladies! I tried googling before I posted a question on here and found nothing LOL. I'm going to give Dawn a try since I use it regularly here.
    Omayra_M

Answer by Omayra_M at 1:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• U could use any kind of oil, olive oil or vegteable, my son did the same thing and that's the only way i could get the destin off of him, it was really easy too
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 10:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2009