Pregnancy in this economic state?

I noticed a lot of women getting pregnant lately. & I'm thinking about having a baby too. How are you handling this economy? How is the economy affecting your pregnancy/children? Is it a good idea to have a child while the economy is continuing to go downward?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• When I got pregnant in October it was totally not planned and then we got the news, then a week later we got news that we were expecting twins! I was so scared and terrified of how I was going to manage taking care of twins and taking care of my 2 little girls that I have now! Then my pregnancy got complicated and I didn't really care about that I just wanted my twins, we saved money for the twins with my income tax money and based on craigslist prices for swings and car seats and other stuff. Then I had my boys and 1 of them past away. So we were able to just concentrate on spending the money we had for both of them on just our surviving twin son. We were able to get everything we ever wanted for our other children and we never had a chance to get. I guess I would just suggest getting stuff on a bargain and/or saving once tax season comes around it really helped us! We got some really good stuff on craigslist for my son!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 4:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yeah i often think about " should i have waited" but the way i see it no one is ever ready for a new baby. My husband and i are living off of one income and its def hard but god provides. I believe if he didnt feel i was ready for another baby then i wouldnt have gotten pregnant. Not to mention there is alot of government help if needed. I mean i guess do what u feel is right for your family. GL hun
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 4:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I have a 2 1/2 year old boy and I really want to try for a girl. But I know that I cant afford it right now. Plus my husband's job is not stable and im a sahm. I actually dont see us ever being able to have another baby even though we both really want at least one more....possibly 2.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 6:38 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think it depends on your family's personal economic situation - how much do you have in savings? How stable is/are your/dh's job(s)? Do you own/rent your home? And how important is it to you to give material things to your child(ren)? I have a 9 month old - we decided to have him because we have a lot in savings, my dh's job is fairly stable, we are paying our mortgage with ease, and we have enough to give our kids even without child support (when my older kid's dad pays, it just goes for extras).

Answer by missanc at 9:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• we started buying things for harmoni just when the economy was going -- usually after bills we had 100$ for gas out of each pay check. no one bought anything , his mom got clothes bc where she lives has tons of bby stores and we have like 3. other than that, we just kept getting 1 thing at a time. my dad bought the stroller and car seat as a present. but we got everything else. shes now almost 8 mths. and were still doin ok.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We have, fortunately, not been affected by the economy. My husband and I both have full time jobs, and both are very secure. Our decision to have a child started about two years ago, when the economy was doing much better, but we decided to keep moving forward after the economy slowed down, just hoping for the best. We lost a lot of savings in the market, but we also had enough liquid assets to keep us afloat should something really bad happen.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Unless you're rich, there is really never a good time financially to have a baby.
    So far the economy hasn't really affected us that badly, and all the financial gurus are saying it's turning around this fall. I'm going to be hopeful.
    brokenmelody

Answer by brokenmelody at 11:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I have a 2 year old son and 6 month old daughter and times are tough right now. My DH was laid off in March and thankfully has a job now. Unfortunately, he only makes half of what he used to make. I recently started working from home to help. I must say that I really enjoy doing what I do. Message me if you're interested. Best Wishes!!!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 12:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2009