Any mommies that have children a year apart ?

My son is 5 months old and will be 6 mo on sept 12, I am as of today 6 weeks pregnant, so my children will be 1 year and about a month or two apart, I'm just kind of curious what is to come, how did you balance out your life? Did you ever sleep? Any advice? I in some way feel like my son is getting robbed of his mommy because i though he was going to be my one and only until my husbands grandmother died and my grandmother died a week apart and i missed my gyno visit for my birth control to get placed in me. I'm excited about the new baby, and my husband is too, but just kind of curious about you other mommies that have done this. The do's and the don't the way you go through it all.
Thank you gals soo much!

Bluesdawg02

Asked by Bluesdawg02 at 5:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My first two are 14 months apart, my next two are 18 months apart, and this 4th one is due 24 months after my 3rd! (I'm sensing some deja vu, micheledo!)

Our oldest kids are now 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and they are BEST friends. (Boy/Girl)

The ONLY thing we don't love about it is the looks we get in public. My goodness, people need to get over themselves! Lol. But seriously, it is great. I never had problems sleeping as our kids generally sleep through the night around 2 months, even while nursing. Just make sure you have an established routine and GET YOUR KIDS ON THE SAME ROUTINE ASAP. That was the most important thing for me, I think. My daughter (2nd born) was on my son's routine by about 4-6 weeks. It was SO helpful!

The only "problem" I remember is that when I was nursing my daughter, my son didn't really seem to understand that he couldn't climb up on my lap. He cried a bit for the first few weeks, but then learned to wait.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 7:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You will certainly have some rough days! But it is so much fun too! My boys are 15 months apart. My next one came 18 months later, and #4 is due when my daughter will be 14 months! Crazy, but it actually gets easier after the first two. Talk to your firstborn about the new baby, how he is going to be such a great big brother, how much he will love the baby, etc! My kids have been GREAT with each new baby. Get rest when you can - it will be much harder this time around.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Bedtime was the hardest. Make sure your oldest is on a schedule when the new baby comes. It seemed like the baby always needed fed when Steve was working and I was trying to get the oldest to bed. I always rocked him, but couldn't if I was nursing. I kept the rocking chair by the bed abd would talk to Nathaniel while I nursed Daniel. I remember him being upset and telling him I would hold him as soon as Daniel was done eating. He got used to that and would stay awake waiting for me to cuddle with him too. It became our new routine! Have the oldest 'help.' He can bring you a diaper or a pacifier when you need it. All my kids have been so proud of helping out. I'll be honest, it was really rough at times. But when the baby is about 6 months and starts sitting up and playing - you will watch the 2 start interacting more. It will make you SO happy and it will all be worth it!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My girls are 14 mo apart. I takes some getting used to but once you get a schedule going it makes things so much easier. They pretty much do everything together...eating, diaper changing, going to sleep. By the way, you may not get much of that until your new baby sleeps through the night. When I put them to sleep I lay them down om my bed together and sing to them both. Also try to get a double stroller if you can. It made things so much easier for me.
    As far as you lo being robbed of your affection, try not to worry too much about it. My oldest loves to spend time with her sissy so the little bit of bond we lost she found with Autumn. I also take her out for special mommy and Emily days to give her a break from Autumn. Even if it's running errands she likes to spend time with me. Also make him feel like being a big brother is a awesome thing by pointing out the things that he can do that the baby can't. Hope it helps!
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 6:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• And, as has been stated already, having your older child "help out" (even if it's not really helpful to you) helps them transition into the big brother/big sister role. Have them fetch diapers, toys, etc.

Hope you have a safe, healthy pregnancy! Congrats!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 7:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Oh, one more thing!

If you use pacis, try to get rid of your 1st child's paci a few months before the new baby arrives. They won't be constantly stealing it and putting it in their mouth that way. (Besides that it's WAY easier to break a child of a paci before they are 1 year old anyway!)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It'll be rough but probably not as hard as you are imagining once you find a routine that works for your family. It's essential to get your SO involved doing whatever he can when he's around. And don't try to do EVERYTHING. Housework can wait, sometimes the baby has to cry because you are dealing with the older child, don't forget to eat (my doctor yelled at me for that one because I was so busy I wasn't eating until 1 or 2pm each day even though I was getting up at 6 or 7am).
    I agree about having the older 1 help. And start talking with him now about the new baby. If it is part of your every day conversations it will just be 2nd nature for him when the baby comes.
    My oldest 3 are 15 months and 13 months apart and I never had a problem with jealousy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my two oldest are a year and 10 days apart. I didn't think it was stressful at all. It was really a lot of fun having 2 kids so close in age. The real stress came later with numbers 5,6,7,8,&9! LOL. The first two were a breeze. It's really nice when they are around 1 & 2 and older, because they always have somebody to play with.
    luvmy8kidsinIN

Answer by luvmy8kidsinIN at 8:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I have 2 boys that are 11 months and 4 days apart. It is very hard, plus my husband was not home to help because he was deployed. You will definitely be tired and have days when all you want to do is cry, but it is worth it. I would make sure you have the oldest one on a schedule as far as dinner, bath, and bedtime. It will make things a little easier. I am very anal about my kids schedules so this helped me. Good luck with everything :)
    ttcgirl110

Answer by ttcgirl110 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Thank you ladies so much for the words of wisdom, You've helped me out so much i feel a little bit less stressed out about baby number 2 now. Plus i never though about making child number one run amd get me a diaper or toys hum that sounds like a great idea. my friend has 2 children that are that close in age but her husband was always around, but mine is a coal miner and won't be around all the time, so again thank you for the words of wisdom and insparation!
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2009