Would you consider me anorexic?

I have become very obsessed over the foods that I allow myself to eat. I will only eat a select few of fruits and vegetables such as apples, oranges, celery, carrots, broccoli and a few others. It all started as a way to get healthier and to lose a little bit of weight. but now I cant eat normal foods with out feeling guilty, fat and bloated. I recently stumbled across and anorexic website with things they call "safe foods" and now it has me wondering about me own situation. Could I be anorexic and not even know it? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't think it sounds like you are anorexic. But if you are worried about it the best thing you can do is to see your doctor!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 6:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• A balanced diet includes carbohydrites too!

Anorexics are always watching their weight. It becomes a problem when they start having problems such as kidney failure, diabetes, iron deficiency, arthritis, even amenorrhea, etc.
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 6:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Anorexics have extremely low body weight in proportion to their height. They can go for weeks without eating anything--except maybe a fruit wedge, a piece of toast or tea/water. They also tend to exercise more frequently, in a "rush " to lose weight faster. As the weight comes off, they realize they don't look healthy, but they can't stop, and will often hide their extreme weight loss from friends and family by wearing loose fitting or bulky clothes. Anorexics tend to also feel as if they are not in control of their lives (lots of anxiety, stress, depression), and controlling what they eat, is a surefire way to control their lives.

What is your current height and weight? What do you think is your IDEAL (goal) weight? DO you think when you reach your ideal weight, you'll be satisfied, and will want to eat more typically? Have you always struggled with weight gain?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• if you are worried about it now, then it is time to talk to a doctor before it gets serious or too late.
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, you have created a complex! Or maybe you just want to be vegeterian, either way eating healthy and giving your body what it needs shouldn't make you feel fat, you're probably a size zero anyway!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Don't worry so much that you have a problem. I had a problem with this a few years back (and some of my sisters, I have 4), and try not to focus on so much having a "problem" but trying to get the right mindset. It's ok to eat foods that are "fattening", eat foods you are comfortable with more, but make yourself (even force yourself to) eat SOME meat, carbs, etc... Just eat small portions. There is nothing wrong with watching what you eat or even eating ALL healthy ALL the time. The "problem" is when you CAN'T eat other foods, or start hating yourself (or your body) when you do eat food. Don't hate your body, don't be CONSTANTLY on a diet, eat healthy and be HAPPY!!! :-)
    Morganne1231

Answer by Morganne1231 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Just like everything else in life, moderation is key. It's great that you're committed to healthy eating, but when you become obsessed with it and it starts affecting your moods, the way you feel about yourself, the places you choose to go, etc. -those may be signs that it's developing into a full-blown disorder. It's all about having a healthy attitude towards food--food is here to nourish our bodies and refill our tanks and it's great when we view it as such (instead of as a crutch, stuffing ourselves with chocolate when we feel down). But you need to also keep in mind that humans do find eating pleasurable, and it's okay to have an occasional splurge as long as overall, you have a healthy mindset toward food. It's a balancing act. Just make sure that you aren't becoming obsessive about food, and if you feel you are, you may want to talk with somebody who can help you so it doesn't become a major problem.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• maybe obsessive compulsive??
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009