Do you tell an 2 year old her father is in jail and she can no longer talk or see him? If so how to tell her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unless he is gone for a long time, I wouldn't At that age, they don't really understand what jail is. Tell her he just can't come home right now but he will see her later.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My So leaves for work early so when my son wakes up he's already gone. Everyday he asks " where daddy at"... I tell him he's at work, and he'll be home this evening. I wouldn't ever want my son to know if he was in jail. I think he's too young to understand and comprehend. How long is he gone for? if it's just a short amount of time I'd tell her daddy had to go away for a little bit...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't tell her right now, that's such a negative situation and too much for a 2 year old to understand. She's gonna feel confused and have hurtfull feelings.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm her grandmother and i have guildship of her, He is in out out of jail all the time for drug, I think he is in this time for about two to three year. He was never an dad to her,
    ryleigh341

Answer by ryleigh341 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would, depending on the situation. My husband and I were military, and when he got out, he moved back home ahead of me, while I was still in...we had it a little easier because we could web chat occasionally, but since he worked nights it was only about once a week...We explained that daddy was away working, and that we would see him when he was done. A two year old doesn't have a great grasp on time, so it wasn't as traumatic as I thought it would be.

She needs to know where her father is if he is a regular part of her life. I'd just explain that he did something bad (no need for details) and he is in a place where grown-ups go for time-out. A two year old knows basic right from wrong and should understand what time out is. If he's not a regular part of her life, I would probably wait until she expresses her curiosity on his whereabouts.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:39 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• He is and has not been part of her lift, she maybe seen he about 1 or 2 times an mouth, when he wanted to see her. She did talk to him on the phone.
    ryleigh341

Answer by ryleigh341 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would just tell her he is away for right now and can't come to see her because he is really busy. She will not understand right now that he is in jail. My sister had a baby when she way 16 and my mother raised her. Her father didn't want to see her and was in and out of jail. Now she is 22 years old and when she was 15 she went and found him. Now he regrets that he was not part of her life and her father has changed his life over the years. I would think time will tell, let them judge for themself when she is old enough to understand. This way you never gave her any negative toward her father and she will judge for herself. He will regret not being a part of her life one day and see that the drugs are really messing up his life.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 12:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009