heartburn!!

I am 36 weeks, and I have been having heartburn my whole pregnancy! I have been taking tums, maalox advanced chew and liquid, and got a percription 5 weeks or so ago for prevaid, I have tried everything possible, even cutting out acidy products from my diet and nothing seems to work. The heart burn has been so unbearable keeping me up all night (literally) it never goes away! Does anyone have an suggestions, or something that has helped them! Please! I need you help!!

lildancer0711

Asked by lildancer0711 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally thought it was gross, and I'd never heard of this before, until my husband's great-grandmother told me about it, but take a shot of heavy whipping cream. Just fill a regular shot glass with heavy whipping cream and swallow it down. It coats your throat, all the way down to your stomach, making a sort of lining between the acid and your throat/esophogus and the other inner parts. Something about it helps sort of shut down the acid. It worked for me, but I only did it every so often, because the taste would make me gag. I'd drink all the water I could handle just before (because drinking water after sort of washes it off) and take the shot of cream.
    I told my cousin about it, and she does it right after she eats anything, and hasn't had trouble with heartburn since, and she's pregnant with twins!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My doc allowed me to take Zantac and it worked better than what you have tried.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Zantac worked for me. For non-perscription Mylanta worked for me, but OB okayed it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I've never had many problems w/ heartburn during my pregnancies, so I don't know if I'll be of much help. One thing I remember reading once was to be sure you don't eat immediately before going to bed. Hope you have a safe and healthy rest of your pregnancy!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• get your galblatter checked, if they do another ultrasound it is really easy to look at, you could have stones, i do and during preg i had that problem, TUMS makes a powder now, fast acting, worked the best for me, but only lasts about an hour.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I had it too. The good thing is you are almost done. It will go away after you have the baby. Tomato sauce brought it on for me. I tried to avoid eating it. Is there any food you can figure out that might bring it on and you can cut out?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• debra_benge, that's really interesting! never heard of that before! but vinegar works too. (like pickle juice - i sure couldn't drink straight vinegar!)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009