A "True" christian vs. a "fake" christian?

I see so many christians refer to themselves as "true" christians, when discussing things. I am wondering if the "fake" christians find this offensive? And what constitutes a real one vs. a fake one? How do you know if YOU are a true christian?
I'm just curious, because I find it a very disrespectful way to talk.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that it's really not my buisness to judge it as that's up to GOD to determine if you were 'true' or not. But I will say that if you have to puff yourself up by giving yourself the title of 'True' christian, then you probably have something to hide.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• lol - I'm a "true" Christian. This is the only time I have used those words to describe myself, meaning that I will say I'm a Christian. I don't need to add the "true" to it. God knows my heart, and I know my heart. We both know I'm not perfect, but He loves me anyway.

I figure, I have my hands full worrying about my own heart and sins, that I don't need to try to be God and judge other people's hearts and sins.

But, generally speaking, I don't get too worried about it when I see someone post that, because I figure they are either a Pharisee (more concerned with the "law" than with grace), or they are insecure, and why should I be threatened by that? I don't even worry when they say "fake Christians" because, since I'm NOT a fake one (no matter what they might or might not think), it doesn't apply to me :-)

Does this make sense? :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• When a Christian refers to themselves as a "true" Christian I think that it's contradicting themselves. Because a "true" Christian wouldn't say that because that is judging others. You don't know a person's heart. If someone is being a "fake" Christian than that is between them and God.

A "true" Christian is someone who has a close personal relationship with the Lord. Even when nobody is looking or listening.

A "fake" Christian is someone who only prays and talks about the Lord when people are looking and listening. They don't mean any of it.

Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Excusing the PP's, the "true" Christians are the most insecure. Nobody secure in their faith would ever be interested in deciding if everyone else is doing it right or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• ANON, WELL SAID!

Answer by older at 8:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• A Christian who knows God through faith in Jesus has the Holy Spirit living on the inside of him/her. That person believes that believing on Jesus is the only way to God the Father, because that is what the Bible teaches. By believing on Him, that person accepts the Virgin Birth of Christ, that He was both God and man, that He died on the cross, that He was buried and on the third day arose, and that He is alive today, sitting at the right hand of God the Father. There are many gifts of the Holy Spirit, and one of those gifts is the gift of discernment. The Bible says that those who don't have the Holy Spirit can't discern things of Him, but some of those who have the Holy Spirit are able to immediately know whether another person has the same Spirit in him/her. Not everyone who says they are Christian believes the above. To some, Christian means something entirely different. True Christianity is Biblical Christianity.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If you believe in Jesus Christ and ask him to be your Lord and Savior and to come into your heart, then you ARE a "true Christian" - regardless of what anyone else says, that's ALL there is to it. Everything else just kinda falls into place from there.

Now, I have known many "fake" Christians - people that just say "oh, I believe in Christ" only to "fit in". Actually, I was one of these for many years. I told everyone around me that I believed, when in fact I was putting on a show for them. It actually took me leaving Christianity and practicing another religion altogether to truly find Christ and start to believe.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I feel it is offensive, because only God knows someone's heart or their relationship with Him, and its not our place to judge others, especially over something as impersonal as the internet, where all you know about a person is the little bit of info they give you - but sometimes people can't see someone outside of that info, or remember that a person is MORE than just the things they say/do online. You can't fully know or judge a person on that - and you shouldn't be judging anyone at all, because, as I said, only God can truly know a person and the state of their soul.

People take their faith seriously, even if they don't believe exactly the same as others, and to devalue someone's faith, to mock their relationship with God juts because they don't believe exactly the same as you* is rude, indeed, and is something a person with a humble and loving heart shouldn't do.

Who knows the damage one could do with judging like that?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• As someone who grew up in inter-denominational academic settings, I can tell you it's usually meant to be offensive and used to place one person as spiritually inferior to the other. I think it is a very bold accusation to make against someone else, because if you are wrong, you've literally just told the Holy Spirit that is within that person that he is ineffective. The Holy Spirit knows what each and every Christian needs and needs to work on. Being a Christian and becoming saved does not mean all of your shortcomings are fixed immediately. We have to allow the Holy Spirit to work in others according to HIS priority list of what that person needs to work on, NOT ours. James 3 (see verse 9) encourages us to speak to others, remembering that they are a creation of God.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Photobucket
    This is how I see it. Sad really!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2009