Has your child been placed in a Zoned School?

"A neighborhood, or zoned, school guarantees a place for all students who live in a designated area. Zones are set by the district, and your address determines which zone you belong to. Zoned neighborhood schools are your first option when looking for a school."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in

• We couldn't get our kids into our "zoned" school. It's overcrowded and on a limited enrollment so they don't take transfer students if they don't have room in a classroom for them.

When we moved here they said they would take son who was going into kindergarten (because the law says they have to take all new kindergarteners) but had no room for my then 2nd grader and would bus her to another school somewhere else in the city. The 4 or so local elementary schools are all the same...limited enrollment and year round schedule and all are still horrible overcrowded.

Otherwise I have no problem with them. The town we lived in before only had 1 school for K-12 (in 2 buildings that were connected). It was so nice to know the kids would be together from start to finish but we had to move.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes. When we moved we chose the school, then found a house in that neighborhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I know that there are some areas that don't do this, and apparently it's becoming more and more common. However, every place we've lived has pretty much gone with the "district" method. You live in a certain area, you're part of this district. Each district is then broken down even further by school. So basically, it's how you describe - you live in the geographic boundaries for this school, then you go to that school, unless you apply for an out of district waiver, or your child has to go to another school for some special reason. (Assuming that your child is in public school.)

Like I said, this is how it's been for all of their schools, and my kids are starting 10th and 11th grade, and what with all our moving have gone to a LOT of schools. (counting pre-k, for our oldest, this is his 10th school...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• no ... idk if we do that in ohio,,, we have school districts, some of them have open enrollment, so if you dont like the district you live in, want a higher ranking one, you can pay and transport you kids to the other school.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I must be from podunk USA. I have NEVER heard of such a thing! Learn something new everyday.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I live in Tulsa, OK. We have two distinct school districts within Tulsa city limits, Union Schools and Tulsa. Both are public, but you are in one or the other depending on the area of town you live in. I live in Union district, and my kids go to the closest school, but since some of the elementary are full, kids would be bussed to one in the same district, although not the closest.
    Mommy2AAA

Answer by Mommy2AAA at 3:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Our neighborhood schools are awful; my daughter was accepted at academically advanced (public) schools both for elementary and high school.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009