12 month old not wanting to eat solids anymore!

my son just turned a year and he loves gerber puffs, and puff popcorn but he won't eat anything else. he has taken small bites of chicken and french fries, but he just throws it and doesnt want it. he is still breastfeeding a lot through the day, but i don't know. he likes pudding, yogurt, i've tried sweet potatoes but he just mashes em up and smears them everywhere.

any ideas. i'm also scared to death of him choking on things!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its a phase...just keep offering soft mashable foods in small portions. As long as he is getting enough milk, he should be fine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• He will come around. Just keep offering him soft foods. It takes some time for babies/kids to get the hang of new foods. Have you tried kraft mac and cheese or cut up a grill cheese sandwich?
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 8:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Keep fixing his plate with the same foods you're eating. He'll get it. Just stop giving your toddler baby food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Just keep offering different foods, eventually he will eat them. I know it can take up to as many as 18times before a baby will accept a new food. I have 3 boys and my first has alway been picky! My 2nd and 3rd will eat almost everything that is offered to them. LOL
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• At this age my guys didn't really want baby food anymore, they were ready for big kid food. They want things that they can hold that have a more solid texture. Just keep at it.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 9:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm terrified of my son choking as well, but my mom keeps assuring me that the only way he's going to learn is if he tests things out. A lot of children go through a stage where they suddenly don't want what they've been eating. The best way is to set it aside and try something else. If it's specific foods he doesn't like, then try new foods and a week or two later introduce the foods he didn't want before. If it's all foods, then maybe try a different technique of feeding. Like feed him while you're eating, so he can look to you as an example. A lot of children are very interested in doing exactly what older siblings/parents do, so they are more likely to try new things if you try them first. Also, you might try letting him pick out his own foods for lunch/dinner. Give him an option of what he wants to try when you make dinner, that way he feels he has more independence and choice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009