Should my son be talking more at 20 months ?

I have 4 kids, my youngest is 20 months. My other children were talking up a storm by the time they were 20 months. I am a little concerned. Our pediatrician doesn't seem to be . My son says on average about 10 words regularly . He has been walking since he was 9 months , he can use his silverware and he uses regular cups..no sippy's . He can point to all his body parts and he listens well and understands. If I tell him to go get his bear or to put his shoes on , he will . He just doesn't talk much . He is pretty much right on target for his age with everything except the talking I think . Is this something I should be worried about ? Should I talk to another docter since ours doesn't see a problem ? Thanks in advance for all your answers .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first son did not say much until he was 25mo. The only words he used frequently had to do with construction trucks. He could name almost all ot them. I had him evaluated at 24mo. But he did not qualify for services. I only had him eval. because his younger brother has a speech delay. I think your 20mo. old is fine. Some kids just arn't as talkative as others. Hope this helps:)
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My dd and her cousin are 3 months apart...my dd has a vocabulary of over 500 words, speaks in full sentances, and talks non-stop...her cousin, while he may have a large vocabulary, will hardly speak and will only say the word of what he wants...instead of saying I want a drink, he will say drink. Each child develops differently. Give it time. He's still young yet.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't know that you need to be "very" worried or anything...at 2 years, they like to see them using about 50 words and starting 2-3 word phrases.

He might be a little delayed...but not a lot based on what I've learned with two in speech therapy. Just keep an "ear" on him (LOL) and make sure there is progression, not regression or a halt of progression.

You can always call Early Intervention. Voice your concerns to them and they'll have him evaluated. You don't need to go through the doctor and it's free. Your concerns will be addressed and you'll have documentation of where he is now in case there is a lack of progression later and you want him evaluated again in 6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my son is 21 months, and all he says is "hi" and "uh oh" , my doc is sending him to get evaluated, so i would think at 10 words you should be fine.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 10:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2009