What can I expect?

I am going to a town hall meeting tomorrow that my Republican congressman is holding. I am registered Republican and I live in a fairly conservative area, but there were a lot of people around me that voted for Obama (as evidenced by the Obama signs in their yards). I am just curious what to expect.
Is there any advise you would give to someone going to a town hall meeting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Bring a camcorder
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Not sure what you should expect, but I do have some advice... dont feed the media fire, that's all. :) Hopefully youll get further and better advice from the other ladies here.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Oh, good idea! I will charge my camera's battery.

As far as feeding the media fire, I am not one that looks for attention. I will dress like I always do and will easily blend with the crowd. I can't even really imagine that people will have signs, but I guess anything is possible. He is holding many town hall meetings and I think it's to cater to smaller groups of people. This one is held in our neighborhood (Our development's population is somewhere close to 15,000 so I don't know how many will show up).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Make us proud momma!
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I just keep hearing that the Republicans are spreading lies at their town hall meetings and I am curious if this actually happens. I believe that most people around here are fiscally conservative, so I would hope that most would be against this reform they are pushing if only for the reason that we have no price tag on it. I have my own reasons for disagreeing with the initiative, but for those that support him, it would be nice if they knew how much it was going to impact their families financially. I live in TX and our county has one of the highest foreclosure rates (if not THE highest), so I would think that the $$$ bottom line would bring people around to the reality of finality. Once something like that is done, we can't go back.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, definitely record this! :D
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Have fun, and let us know how it turns out!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If you can, ask the Republican Rep to go over the 3 bill that have currently been written to counter ObamaCare and what are Republicans doing to get the word out, open dialogue, etc....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• bring your gun.
    grandmasix

Answer by grandmasix at 1:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't have a gun, grandmasix. And even if I did, I certainly wouldn't bring it to a town hall meeting. Why? I am intelligent enough to argue with words and not not get my feelings hurt if someone disagrees with me. I know that my rep does not support Obamacare and neither do I. I am guessing that the rest of my neighbors will be a mixed bag, but I don't expect any tom-foolery or ass-hattery there.

That said, I think the shameful way that the MSM has been depicting the conservative movement at these town hall meetings will prompt me to bring a video camera, just in case there are some that get out of control. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009