Will being an only child somehow hurt my daughter?

I had a hard time having my daughter Peyton. My husband wants a BIG family but after losing so many pregnancies, I am happy with my 1 healthy baby. Will being an only child somehow hold my daughter back? Or is having a sibling (s) that important?

angelmom713

Asked by angelmom713 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• No she's an individual, it depends on her life. I'm an only child, I grew up with cousins, they were basically my brother's and sisters, it was nice to come home at the end of the day to some privacy. There were lots of times I wish I'd had a sister, mainly because I was suppossed to had had one, she passed away at birth.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Not necessarily...the only thing that I worry about it that it will be harder on them once their parents get old and all the decision making is on their shoulders...with a sibling, they can split some of the weight.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think it depends .
    I personally hated the idea of having my oldest be a only child since my sister is only 16 and swears she doesn't want kids and my hubby is an only child so my daughter has NO cousins at all and most likely won't ever have cousins .
    I lost 3 babies but I wasn't going to give up on the dream of having more kids. I am 32 weeks pregnant and I can't wait to have our second daughter. I know my kids will grow up being close .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I worry about this same issue with my daughter. I want to have another child, but it's possible that that never happens. I grew up in a house of 5 kids, so . . . I think I definitely want her to have at least one sibling. I think I want to get pregnant in the next year.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son is an only child and we never thought of it as hurting him. He gets lonely sometimes but that is due to his having a big brother who passed away. He has alot of friends many cousins, and most of all his dog. He isn't spoiled very well behaved and loves life. In your case your health is more important then trying to have another child. Your husband sounds like a many who likes to give but let him know that you just can't. You and your daughter are more important.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• oh I don't think so. There are millions of people out there who were only children and turned out just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Nope. I have siblings... I have more than one child, My Dh is one of 9...

Honestly, I think only children have it much better! Siblings just cause issues!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Being an only child isn't going to hurt her. Having another kid FOR her when you don't want it, will hurt the other kid a hell of a lot more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I was an only child until I was 11. My parents had a surprise pregnancy with my little brother.

I can't imagine him not being in my life now, but when I found out about the pregnancy, I was really upset. I did not want things to change. Then he got here and I was in love with him. We were really close until I moved to be with DH.

Now he's 17 and a senior in high school. It's crazy that he's going to be an adult soon.

But no, being an only child won't hurt your daughter in any way. However, really look at the reason why you don't want to try to have another. Is it because you're scared or because you really feel like you're done. I get the "being scared" part. I've lost 4 pregnancies myself. 3 miscarriages and a stillbirth at 31 weeks. But when my daughter was born healthy, I knew it was possible and I wanted another.

So, it's okay to have just one. But make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think your daughter's quality of life will be better. When you have more than one child, you have more than one expense. You have to save to save for one than one child's college fund. If you go on an airplane, you have to buy buy more than one ticket. Your time has to be spent giving attention to more than one child. I think more people should have one child and focus on giving that child an excellent quality of life, instead of having more than one and having those children living in povery/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2009