Are You Happier In Your 2nd Marriage?

Just wandering if it really is worth leaving and if you really can find happinness again! And if it's better the second time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Yep.
    The first time I married I was ready for the committment at 20 but my ex-husband wasn't ready at 21. I really don't think he realized that life for him had changed and that he couldn't just hang out with his buddies anymore and get NOT see other woman *gasp*. He was a total loser and the only good thing about our marriage came in the form of our daughter.

I remarried my current husband a few weeks before turning 26. My husband is from Holland and has been a wonderful husband to me and great dad to our kids. My oldest has been calling him daddy since the moment he came to this country permenately when she was 4 and is the only dad in her life period. Together we have another daughter who is 4. Next month we'll celebrate 7yrs of marriage. I feel like my first marriage was preparing me for this one - letting me know the difference in a functioning marriage and a non-functioning one. Now I have everything :-)
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I went through three marriages and didn't find happiness until I finally divorced and stayed single. That's just me though. I cherish my freedom. I have someone special to me but won't marry again

Answer by admckenzie at 9:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I am in the midst of an unwanted divorce and I'm very close to my MIL, who is divorced & remarried. She has been my conifdant and advisor through this whole mess. She loves her second husband, and they've been together for 15 years, but she still has regrets about divorcing my STBX's Dad, and still feels hurt, pain and regret to this day - they've been divorced for 20+ years. She advised me that if there's anyway to work it out, you should do everything you can to save the marriage - especially when children are involved. She has found happiness, but it's a very different kind of happiness.
    jj.mominmd

Answer by jj.mominmd at 10:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• very much so.. i used to have a rule after three years i couldnt take it anymore and id move on.. WELL we are passed that and im still loving every min of it (well thats what i tell myself)lol.. no.. the first time sucked so much balls this time i found someone that i can share, care, love, and stand to be around more than five min, plus he doesnt get mad or yell all the time, no hitting, no drugs, no drunking nights, its awesome to be free and happy.. PLUS he doesnt mind i read PLAYBOY and go to the stripbar with him.. im telling ya.. he doesnt mind im a total bitch most of the time he just laughs and says "ur such a bitch"lol im like "i totally know"..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• yup i did first husband was very abusive and we had alot of problems ect...
    then with my 2nd husband he was the greatest...... i didn't know there was nice guys out there.....
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 10:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Thank you for all your responses!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Totally possible. My first DH was a chronic cheater. He had online relationships & real life affairs starting a few weeks after we said "I do." I was never important to him & if he had a choice between me & his mother, friends, or another woman, he always picked one of them. I was a total second class citizen & my self-esteem & self-respect were shattered. Even with all that, it still hurts sometimes. Something will job a memory of a good time (and there were some) & it makes me wonder "what if?" I know I made the right decision but you have to be prepared for those moments that make you wonder.

I am remarried & I love my DH more than anything. I am his Princess & he isn't afraid to tell me that. I am so happy & have finally found myself again. I'm going back to school (which ex-DH would never allow) & have friends (ex-DH only wanted his friends), I feel like a better version of me now. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes! I think this second time I knew what to look for, and what to guard against. I was very young the first time and didn't realize how controlling my ex was until I "grew up" and by then I was married with 3 kids. I am SO much happier - I had no idea marriage could be this much fun!

Answer by missanc at 11:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY! I now say my first marriage was my trial!
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 12:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009