nipple sheilds...

i'm on w.i.c and they have been really wanting me to try to breastfeed, which is what i would like to do for my child because i know it will benifits him so much, but i see my boobs as a sexual thing and not really something i could share with my child. so this w.i.c lady told me to try a nipple sheild, i went out and bought one and am planning on trying it, but wanted to see if anyone else out there has tried this before? did it work out?

JuwansMommy

Asked by JuwansMommy at 9:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow i had the same problem as you but i pumped and then bottle feed anyways i never heard of these before i googled and these kinda look cool! good luck mama!
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 10:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I didn't use one my one of my best friends used hers all the time (I used to nanny for her so I saw her a lot, lol). I'm not sure what her reasons were but I know she loved it. Her son adapted well & they had a great breastfeeding relationship.

The other thing I would say is just try BF. I never had an issue with thinking my breasts were sexual only so didn't have a problem "sharing" with my kids but a co-worker of mine felt the same way as you. She was totally against the idea & couldn't imagine a little stranger on her boobs. We told her to just wait until she had him. She gave birth & started nursing immediately. Having her son changed her mind completely. She said it was a very natural & nurturing thing to do & admitted we were right. Give it a try & if it isn't for you, then it isn't. But you will have given your LO the best start in life & know that you tried. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My daughter is 11 months old and she nurses with a nipple sheild. It makes latching on alot easier. It doesn't hurt to try it. Give breastfeeding a try. hope you breastfeed goodluck
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Problem with nipple shields is that they can interfere with milk transference. And they won't solve the "breasts as sex objects" issue.

Here's something that will, though. Your husband's penis has two purposes,. and sex is the LESS used one. Remember that and then you can think of your breasts as something that serve an additional purpose besides sex.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I used a nipple shield for the first few weeks of my daughter's life because she had problems latching. It was great to get her to latch, it served its purpose well, but it can be a pain to use, especially when you're trying to nurse in public and not trying to expose yourself. And like gdiamante said, it probably won't solve your problem, the baby would still be breastfeeding.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• well i dont mind breastfeeding, but i just dont know how i feel about the skin to skin thing. i think as long as there is something inbetween my breast and his mouth it will be easier for me.
    JuwansMommy

Answer by JuwansMommy at 6:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009