could my 5 year be adhd?

my 5 year old has always been an energetic child . He has calmed down at home over the last two months with a change in his diet. He just started school and he is running in class and outside, and climbing in chairs. could he be adhd if he listens and is calm at home but cant be calm at school .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i dont think so if he was the same at school then at the house then maybe yes.... but you say he's not. maybe the other kids distract him at school....or maybe he knows the teacher cant punish him. do you ever yell at him to get calm? well maybe since the teacher dont yell he wont obey
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 10:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• you'd need a doctor's assessment to truly diagnose it.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Sounds like he's being 5 to me.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Nope. ADHD would have the behaviors exhibited in ALL settings. If he is acting up in school now, but calm at home, it's quite obvious it's not his diet either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No - he would be acting the same way at home. I would discuss discipline with the teacher - find out what you do at home that they could possibly implement at school as well. Also, if he's eating school lunches, make sure that they meet the same diet you are using at home.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would have to agree to the above anonymous statement. My child just turned five and was diagnosed with ADHD...Here are some of the ways he has ALWAYS behaved. We have rarely ever been able to get him to sit through an entire meal in his seat, he always fidgets and has to get down. He has more than the average in terms of energy than most kids his age and will go from sun up to sun down bouncing off the walls and running full speed into ppl and furniture. He doesn't understand personal space...won't listen or follow through when given simple directions. EXTREMELY impulsive, consequences and discipline have NO EFFECT on him because once he's gotten in trouble he's off doing the next naughty thing. TO THIS DAY he has accidents and pees and poops in his underpants. And yes I have tried everything to make it stop. He was shunted out of preschool because he was too disruptive and wouldn't follow directions. Your kids isn't ADHD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Also I thought I'd mention the fact that it took quite some time before my son recieved some help along with a diagnosis. We were referred to a Behavioral Institute after our pediatrition noticed his erratic behavior while examining my baby daughter at the time. After going to the Institute it took several visits and evaluations before any diagnosis was made. They videotaped us my husband and I as we played with our son and it all kinda progressed from there. I'd really say that your son might be acting up because it's a new environment for him and having a lot of energy doesn't necessarily make him ADHD. It's a number of factors and criteria that make the diagnosis. Check out this webpage....http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-symptoms
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009