Did I make too much of a big deal???

OK, so last night it was our roommates turn to make dinner. He ended up going to bid a side job and called to have me make his dish for him. I am in no way a good cook so I was worried as it was. Anyhow, after I put the food in the oven, the smoke alarm was going off!! I went down staries and the entire kitchen was filled with smoke. Apparently, some of the cheese melted and spilled over the edge. I got myself all worked up and asked my boyfriend if I messed up dinner. Instead of saying something to make me feel better, he said "Probably"! I got super upset because I feel like he should have tried to make me feel better....even if he DID think I messed things up (dinner was fine btw). When I told him how I felt, it turned into a huge fight, he called me crazy and even said he was breaking up with me!!! Just because I told him how I felt. Was I wrong to get so upset with him?

CrystalJanie

Asked by CrystalJanie at 9:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• I think that you over-reacted about the smoke. If smoke is coming out of the oven and the smoke alarm is going off, it's pretty obvious that the dinner may be ruined. My husband would have responded the same way. (Glad to hear it was OK after all.)

The second issue is did you over-react when you didn't receive comfort when you asked your boyfriend if he thought you'd ruined the dinner. He simply answered your question. When you told him that that hurt your feelings, he should have responded something like "Sorry." or "I didn't mean to. " something like this. Since he wants to break up, there is likely something else going on in your lives- since the idea of breaking up was so close to the surface of his thoughts.

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Honestly, yea...I think you over reacted about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with PP. If he had kept going about how you messed it up and it was horrible or something, I could understand.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I do think you over reacted a bit... just reading it makes it sound like a joke to me. No big deal.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It sounds like you may have depression or self esteem problems. This behavior can drive a wedge in your relationships. For your own sake, please get help. There are most likely counseling centers in your area that offer sliding scale fees(based on income) if you cannot afford it or do not have insurance.Good luck,hon.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• SO would have left if I did that. He sees that kind of stuff as emotionally needy whining and he won't have me acting like that. Men think we should be confident about all we do even if we screw up. SO would say "So you screwed up dinner. Get over it." It's not like they won't eat it anyway. My SO would have seen your attempt at being comforted as weak and he would have gotten angry too

Answer by admckenzie at 10:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• He's a roomate, not your husband he's not going to support you in anyway, plus he doesn't seem to be a good friend. He should had been sympathetic at least you fixed his ass dinner, you didn't have to do that! Think of yourself next time.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2009