• In the Spotlight:

My daughter is almost 7 months, and I hate to say this and I dont want to sound like a bad mother but she is a nightmare right now!

She is extreemly wild at times, she never sits still, shes always kicking, yelling, whining, and nothing seems to keep her attention for longer than a minute. Feeding time is a nightmare, shes always looking somewhere else, the celing, the walls, trying to grab something off the table. Its very hard to get her to focus on me and the food. She just seems to have so much engery, like she is hyperactive. I dont want to sound like a bad mother, but its driving me crazy. The whining is the worst part, she whines all the time, i give her a toy she looks at it for a few seconds throws it down and starts whining. I will put her in the exercaser same thing. I dont want to pick her up right away because I dont want her to thing the moment she whines someone will come get her, but she doesnt stop. Also when i give her a bottle she squeezez her eye lids together like its painful to drink, could it be teeth coming in? Help!

LeahsMama

Asked by LeahsMama at 10:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It very well might be teeth. My oldest DD was a full-fledged terror with every tooth. Give your DD something cold to gum for a while (frozen or cold wash cloth or my fav, frozen bagels).

For meal time, try to feed her in a quieter place. Clear off the table of whatever distractions you can & if possible, feed her by herself (without anyone else eating). If she gets too crazy, let her down for a while. She might not be as hungry as you think she is & is getting bored easily.

Make sure you give her plenty of active play time. Let her stand on your legs or between your feet & bounce. The exersaucer is great but you might want to invest in a Johnny Jump Up. Those are those jumper things that you can hang in doorways. Oldest DD loved hers & it was a total lifesaver for me. She worked out tons of energy & she was safe (never leave them alone, but you can have them jumping while you fold laundry or work on dinner).
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Well teeth could be the eating problems. As for the others, you might want to get her hearing checked. If everything turns out ok, then you have what I like to a "High Spirited Child"
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It could be teething but my son is doing a lot of the same things. He is almost 8 months. I think its just really a stage they go through.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son is now 9 months and it seemed to be a huge leap when he learned to crawl. Once he was mobile, he doesn't fuss when he's bored - he just starts exploring, if i'm in the next room (we have an open floor plan so I can see him) he comes and "finds" me. We can play more games - he likes "chase" or "hide and go seek".
    It definitely could be teeth. Thankfully, my son's came in quickly but for a few days he wanted to be held constantly. There is a book called the "High Spirited Child," but I would think they need to be a little older to actually be called that. Some of the best behaved kids I know were holy terrors as babies!

Answer by missanc at 11:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• wait until she is 2. yeah thast a nightmare.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It's probably just a phase. My daughter was like that (she is 7mos too) and just started crawling last month and is sooo much happier! Now she doesn't fuss as much. I'm sorry she's being like that though! It is no fun!
    Morganne1231

Answer by Morganne1231 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• uh, well, I don't have any advice but my son was whining and crying all still at this age. nothing made him happy, after him 5 months of all day colic and no sleeping. I feel for ya mommy.. hang in there- i know I am.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Well, my DD was like this from the time she was born unti about 4 mos! Seriously she was a 'high maintenace' baby as my Doc. called her. At 5.5 mos, she's finally calm and fun and can entertain herself for a little while, so I know how you feel. Teething or not, babies go through all kinds of crazy stages. The only guarantee we have is that time passes and they grow and change everyday. Good luck!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009