Is this normal

my daughter is just now 10 months old today but for the past few days she keeps tryin to gag her shelf she sticks her fingers down her throught and trys to make her self sick i just got kicked outta her dad's mom house cause they didn't like me and some of the things me and my daughter's father did and another issue i really don't wanna bring up so i think it's stressin her out but i'm not sure i'm worried about her should i take her to the dr or what i usually ask my daughter's mom but me and her arn't on speakin terms and and her dad is pickin her up friday night till sunday

katelynnmommy23

Asked by katelynnmommy23 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she might be doing for attention b/c there is stress going on or she might just be experimenting. It may be a new feeling to her. I wouldn't worry to much right now. It will prob pass in time when she realizes its not comfortable to do this.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You question was a little jumbled. It seems there is other stress going on other than normal new parent stress. Honestly, I don't believe that has any thing to do with it. My daughter does that too. It totally pisses me off and I try to tell her "no no". I don't really think they are hurting them selves. It's just one of those exploratory things. They don't know what will happen, they just know it feels different and weird. (My DD is almost 13 months)

If she does it to the point of actually throwing up, I might worry a little then, but my DD normally stops once it starts to gag her. She won't stop doing it, she just stops from actually going too far. Once she starts to gag, she'll pull her hand out and then try again. lol (kids are weird)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 11:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• She's not doing it for attention! My daughter has done the same thing since she was a few months old, not to be bulemic or anything, she's feeling around in her mouth exploring, and or teething, plus some babies do it for a comfort thing, I just give her a paci and she stops.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• She's just discovered her mouth. She's exploring and hasn't yet figured out that if she sticks her fingers in too far, she gags. She's not doing it on purpose, she will figure out that she needs to stop doing it. Just try to get her attention to something else. Whatever else you have going on has nothing to do with a 10 month old baby.

If you usually ask your daughter's mom....WHAT?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• you usually ask your daughters mom? wouldn't that be you? anyway - my son did this too but kids can very much stress out from being in a stress ful situation I hope you realize this soon however, cause it sounds like you are too immature to see that your actions will affect your daughter. Sounds like a parenting class is in need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My daughter does the same thing and so did my niece. My daughter is 9 months old now and she has been doing it since she was around 7 months, I think it's the teething part of things.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009