Do you believe in curses?

A curse is the expression of desire of harm to come to a particular person. There is a belief that if the victim knows that he has been cursed and believes that he is doomed, that the curse is all the more potent for the victim helps to cause his own demise.

Do you think people actually have the power to 'curse' others? I don't mean using demons or evil spirits and the like, but a power that comes from within. Are we all capable of harming another simply by projecting enough hate and malice in their direction?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The mind is a powerful thing and still largely a mystery to medical science.  I do believe that if someone truly believes that they are cursed, they can subconsciously cause their own demise, but I don't believe that a curse has any real power.

We do the same thing to ourselves to a lesser degree.  Thing about it.  Have you ever started the day with a minor mishap and then think to yourself this is going to be a bad day, and then proceed to have minor mishaps happen all day?  I think it is the same thing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Curses are real.. do I accept them no but I do believe when you say a curse it has an affect. The tongue is the most powerful part of the body, it can tear down or uplift a person. It must be used wisely.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't believe in curses, to tell the truth. I think that the only power given to a "curse" is the power the "cursed" gives it. IOW - if something goes wrong, and you immediately become pessimistic and say "oh I'm cursed, everything's going to go wrong now . . . ", then you give that curse power by putting the negative energy out there. We are like magnets - we receive what we put out. If we put our positivity, we receive good, positive things. If we put out negativity, we receive negative things.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, LOL. My brain is a little mushy today for some reason . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think the power of suggestion is an awesome weapon. You tell someone you placed a curse on them and the seed is planted.

I wonder though... do the bad thing happen because of the actual curse, or does the thought of being cursed bring about a chain of events fulfulling the curse? Sort of like a prophesy is only fulfilled because someone makes it come true- it doesn't happen on it's own.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• ^^ IhartU you just said what I was trying to explain but better, LOL!! ^^
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I do believe that it is possible to curse a person, because I believe people can manipulate the energy that effects our lives. I agree that if the person knows about the curse their own mind will assist in the process, but I don't think it is necessary for the curse to work.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I dont believe in them because I think crap just happens. Curse is an easy way to explain it tho.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Curses work only if you are receptive to the harm that another person wished on you. It doesn't matter if you know about the curse or not. It is a perfect example why shielding is so important. And another reason why "Know thyself" is so critical. Already I can think of a ton of reasons why someone might accept harm from someone. All the reasons that work for abusive, manipulative situations work here too.

Just saying....but if I cursed someone to beak a leg and they accepted that and broke their leg, just how much sympathy can the milk out of this? How much attention can they gain? How much guilt can they assuage? Yup, their leg would still be broke but they still won't have learned a thing. Which is why flinging curses only make the person cursing feel better. Got to love that silver lining principle which really flips baneful magic on it's head.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• the power of suggestion is real and powerful. when you are with someone for the whole day start telling them early that they don't look well. ask them frequently if they are sick and if they feel ok. and DAMN if by 4pm they arent convinced they are sick.
    this little experiment does work, have to say for fun i have done it to many a coworker and just laughed and laughed in the background. is it a curse? i dunno. never thought of cursing anyone. killing maybe but not cursing!!LOL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The mind is a Powerful Tool that can be used against it's owner if manipulated the right way and by cursing (it's a form of harming) that is what someone is doing, manipulating someones mind..

Do I believe in Curses? Yes I do bc with the right way you can manipulate the mind of the person with the intent of the curse...(your in my opion... harming them, which I do not believe in doing)
    Does it (curses) affect everyone? No, bc not ALL people believe in such things and if you don't believe in it, it will not affect you and you will think it silly... but if you do firmly believe in or you are raised in a culture that Curses are a part of the everyday norm of their religion then yes they are as real as anything else...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2009