Attachment parents: How do you get time to cook dinner?

I wear my babies, but they always hated just staying still on my back while I chop/prepare/cook. How do you do it??

Emmoney

Asked by Emmoney at 11:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Um put them down, let them play, they will probably enjoy it. Otherwise just deal with them being unhappy.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:02 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• This question obviously does not apply to you, Zakysmommy
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 11:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You have to be strong and put them down or else it will get worse...I have a friend who carried her kids all of the time now they are 4 (well the first kid at the time was 4) but she now has another but anyway she is still carrying her. I remember she would tell me I do everything with my kids I can not put them down so I just have them hanging on me while I cook, washdishes...etc. I told her girl you are crazy once them kids know how to support themselves it's time to let go alittle,
    but she never listen so there she goes carrying this big boy/girl around like not they don't know how to hold their own..how do you expect them to learn if you continue to do this...sometimes you just have to walk away give them something entertaining. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I had a cabinet filled with pots and wooden spoons with a bright colored rug next to it. My daughter was happy to bang while I cooked.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Actually, I have two older children who are perfectly fine while I cook dinner. They are almost 4 and 2.5 and were rarely put down as babies. So, thank you for your ignorant answer! Babies who are carried/worn become independent faster than those who are not.

Your friend really should learn to put some limits on how long she'll carry her children, but I am talking about a BABY, not a toddler or preschooler!
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 11:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• rkoloms, what did you do before the baby could sit up on their own?
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 11:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I had the same issue with my youngest. I am lucky to had much older kids so while I tried to cook dinner I put them on baby duty. There were days when brother or sister could not make her happy, so I would just carry her I figure I would rather her fuss and cry in my arms then somewhere else.

Now that she can sit up pretty good she sits on the counter in her high chair while I cook as long as she can see me she is happy to sit there and watch me or play.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:24 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• LOL, get DH to cook! haha. No, seriously, in our house that's how it plays out most of the time...but that's because he likes to cook anyway. Too bad you're not getting more answers from AP parents in the first place to actually help you out... I know that when i am in the kitchen, (usually to wash dishes, since Trevor does the cooking) and i would wear Asher on my back, he'd try to reach behind me and open the freezer door while i was facing the other way washing dishes (ugh)....But, usually what worked best was giving him something he thought he shouldnt have, LOL, like a spoon or something that he could chew on/play with, and then have music playing and sing along....Swaying also helped...if i was swaying back and forth he did okay; but if i stopped dead in my tracks while doing something he'd fidget and fuss....Once he was more mobile, i did what someone else mentioned...let him get out the pots and pans...
    asherraifsmom

Answer by asherraifsmom at 12:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• but before he was mobile, he didnt fuss too much in the carrier anyway, as long as i swayed back and forth. sorry i'm not more help :-(
    asherraifsmom

Answer by asherraifsmom at 12:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I just did what I had to do with my son in the carrier.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009