Are deathbed visions real?

When my grandfather was dying, he kept looking over into the corner and talking to people who weren't there (at least WE couldn't SEE them). Do you believe our loved ones come and comfort us in the moments before death or is it simply our dying brain mis-firing and sending us images that aren't really there?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't really know. I kinda have to agree with beeky, though, near death experiences and end of life experiences could just be the brain's way of making death more peaceful and accepting. Chemicals are released into your brain that cause such hallucinations. But then again, we won't know until we die, and we'll probably never know the answer for 100% sure.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I feel they're real. I was with both of my parents when they were dying. They had slipped to the other side before they were gone. It was as if they couldn't see us and they were looking to the angels to guide them. That's what I believe.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• When my poppop was dying, he kept telling my grandmom "Make him go away" She asked who? He said "The man in the hall"
    There was no one in the hall. He stopped communicating after that other than to say "No, stop, don't, Maria (my grandmoms name)"
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I hope they are real, but I don't think we have any way of knowing until it is our time.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I was also with my little sister as she passed away and for hours before, she was in a semi-conscious state and was mumbling and laughing and saying things out of the blue about events that happened during her life like she was really there. I wonder if your life DOES flash before your eyes and once that flash stops and you get to your present situation, you slip away into death.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, I believe they are. (today seems to be the day for me to talk about my great grandfather, LOL)

When my great grandpa passed away, he looked at my mom and said "Sue, do you see them?" My mom said "Who, Granddad?" He said "The angels! Sue, their beautiful!" She said he then looked a little confused and sat up a little and said "Oh!" She said a huge smile jumped onto his face and he then said "Oh, hello, Fern!" Then he leaned back, smile on his face, and closed his eyes. She said he was pronounced dead less than ten minutes later.

True story? I don't know, I wasn't there. But I always loved this story. It helps me to think that we are guided to the other side by someone who loves us.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• i believe that they are real. working in geriatrics for years i could tell similar stories and we have had family members do the same. whether it is real or not, neurons causing chaos or not, it is comforting to know that in the end days of a life there is some comfort from what we knew here and its connection to the afterlife.
    i do have to say however, the good experiences i witnessed were only those from believers, the atheists that had similar end of days occurrences were somewhat horrific and terrifying. those patients had to be heavily sedated to overcome their visions.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• jewjew, I think it's because most Atheists don't believe in any form of spiitual world, but there are some, like myself, who believe that something happens- not religious, but something natural and that may bring peace and acceptance on the brink of death.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:39 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• No they are hallucinations.  It's the mind's way of shutting down and gently letting go.  My father had the "visions" too.  He would look out the patio doors and see a painting that had fallen off the wall.  He saw our family dog that had passed away 20 years earlier.  

I think people who are prepared to die see pleasant things like distant memories or the faithful see their "Eden".  People who desperately try to cling on to life or are afraid, have frightening visions.

Shit hon!  Your timing sucks.  This is a good question just a bad day to ask.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I DO BELEIVE THAT LOVED ONES WE HAVE LOST COME TO GREET US AS WE PASS, WHY NOT IF WE HAVE CHOICE TO THINK SOMETHING AS BEAUTIFUL AS THAT, WHY NOT THINK IT IS REAL, BUT LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID WE WON'T KNOW FOR SURE UNTIL WE ARE THERE. I HAVE NO FEAR OF DEATH JUST EXTREME SADNESS TO THINK I WON'T SEE MY LOVED ONES LIKE I DO NOW, TO SHARE IN THEIR LIVES TRIUMPHS AND FALL DOWNS, AND HAPPINESS.
    WHEN MY FATHER DIED UNEXPECTEDLY 24 YEARS AGO, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD FOR THE DAY I CAN SEE HIM AGAIN, SO IF THESE VISIONS ARE CORRECT I MIGHT JUST BE ABLE TO EMBRACE HIM ONE MORE TIME.

Answer by older at 11:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009