The Fatima Prophecies. Were they real and did they come true?

The "miracle at Fatima" is arguably the most well-known apparition of the Blessed Mother. Her appearance to three shepherd children in Portugal in 1917 was, according to many witnesses, accompanied by several unexplained events, including a shared vision of the sun dancing and moving about erratically in the sky.

During her many appearances to the children, "Our Lady" bestowed upon them three prophecies.

To read the entire story, please go here:

http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/janus.htm

SO DO YOU THINK WHAT THOSE CHILDREN SAW WAS REALLY MARY AND IF NOT, WHAT WAS IT AND WHY DO YOU THINK THEY SAW WHAT THEY DID? WERE TEHY LYING? AND DO YOU THINK THOSE PROPHESIES REALLY DID COME TRUE OR WAS MEANING ATTACHED TO THEM AFTER THE FACT?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. The CC has declared Our Lady of Fatima as credible. That doesn't mean we have to accept on faith that it's happened - only that it is consistant with Catholic teachings to believe that it occurred and that there is evidence of a supernatural intervention.  The article Apparitions/Private Revelations talks more this topic from a Catholic point of view.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I love this story, but it is one that I always wondered about. On the one hand, if Mary WAS to appear to someone, I think that it WOULD be these two unpretentious children - the "least likely place", in other words. However, I also know (from motherhood) that children of that age are often fanciful and "make things up".

I don't know anything about the actual prophecies, I will have to look those up to really study them to be able to form an informed opinion.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• growing up with a strict roman catholic italian mother, there was never any question as to whether or not this actually happened. the movie was awesome along with the follow up stories of the children's lives. somethings have to be just believed without proof, and if you are not there to witness it you cannot say for certain it did or did not happen. like when God talks to a person, nobody can prove it did or did not happen.and even then, every persons perception of the event will be different. you have to just make the choice as to whether YOU will believe or not, not as to whether or not it actually happened.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I am personally very skeptical of these things. I mean many people are seeing these apparitions, signs, healings, etc.

I think that something might be happening (I a don't think that all these people are lying), but I personally don't think that these things are from the Lord because it draws attention away from Him. Every sign and miracle that is from the Lord, points to Himself.

Messages from Heaven

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I personally don't believe Mary appears to anybody. But that's me.
    JewelzMeow

Answer by JewelzMeow at 12:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think it's possible that Mary appeared to the children at Fatima. I think the idea has inspired many people to turn toward Jesus. It's what is called a "private revelation" (as opposed to the public revelations made by Christ). Catholics are not required to believe it happened. Private revelations involve a great deal of perceptive capablity on the part of the person receiving the vision/revelation and tend to compress events/ideas into a single vision with a lot of symbolism. Which, to me, means that often understanding of such revelations come mainly in retrospect - looking back afterwards. Which if fine because the purpose of such revelations is to inspired individuals to come closer to Christ and true private revelations won't reveal any new information that Christ has not already revealled to us. The Catholic Church would argue that a Marion apparation that revealled new info would be false.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Just one quick response until I read more. I would argue that the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe is more commonly know. It might just be I live in North America tho.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 5:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• eringobrough, is this an apparition that the CC officially believes is valid?
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 5:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009