Home prices in your area

My husband and I live in California. Buying a house out here is way out of our league. Well, a decent house anyway. We are thinking of moving out of state just for this reason alone. I was watching Property Virginis on TV last night. This couple bought a decent 3 bedroom 2 bath in a nice neighborhood in Florida for $200,00. That to me is cheap considering where I live that same house would have cost around 600,00. I'm just curious so I can start looking. Thank you for your help in advance.

Jguevara

Asked by Jguevara at 11:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Im originally from CA and home prices there are stupid as are the property taxes. I live in NC now and can buy a decent 3br 2 bth home for around $90k
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Wow! I can't even fathom that. Sounds like a steal. If I could find a house for that price. I could even save up to half for the down payment.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 11:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I live in western Colorado and prices here range from $60,000 to $500,000. It just depends on where and what you are looking at.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:37 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We live in Oklahoma. Depending on the age of the home. 3bdrm, 2 bth home here will cost you around,,$150,000.00 and higher. All 3/2 are not the same square foot in size. That makes adifference too.

Answer by louise2 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The northern suburbs of atlanta you can get a standard size 3 br, 2bath home for anywhere from $100-$200K, depending on how nice/new it is, and the exact area of town it's in, and whether or not it has a basement. Lots of people flock to the south for the weather and the affordable cost of living.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• There are loads of cost of living comparison sites online...you'll want to check them out.

Keep in mind that wages will be lower along with housing prices. In a lot of the South, I'd be taking a 50% pay cut. You'll want to study ALL the factors.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I live in eastern PA (Lehigh Valley), and we BUILT our home almost 8 years ago...4200 square feet plus finished basement on a TWO acre lot for $250,000! A new section of our development is currently being built....literally starting 100+ yards away from our lot--the houses are around 3000 square feet plus full basements on a QUARTER acre lot, and selling for upwards of $400,000! Good for us! And we're in the middle of everything--but not in a city environment--best of both worlds! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Our house is thirty years old with half an acre. It has been updated and upgraded, in a good quiet and safe neighborhood, 1400 square feet, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, formal dining room, living room, den, a big screened in porch, a 500 sq foot deck with a 24 ft pool around it, a storage barn and a childs playhouse built to match the house only on a lower scale for the grand total of $98,000. We bought it last year.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• DECENT houses here are in the $60,000 - 500,000 rnge or higher depending on location and size. Our house was $65,000 has 3 bedrooms and one and a half bath in an okay neighborhood. But we are planning on renting it out and getting a house in another area.....a fixer upper in a great neighborhood is only $40,000 and gives us a lot more spending room for making it our own. One current listing is a 5 bedroom, 3 bath 4100 sq. ft. home on 3 acres for only $99,900.....its been for sale for almost two years and it badly overgrown and needs a lot of work which is turning most people off....we are considering it
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We live in Chicago; we bought a brick, 3 bedroom 2 bath "fixer-upper" build in 1939 for about $185,000 eleven years ago; it is currently worth around $425,000

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2009