What do you suppose Manna was?

The word manna is derived from the The Hebrew words meaning, What is it? Although some have speculated that manna was some sort of naturally-occurring substance that God miraculously multiplied and delivered to the Israelites, there is no solid proof for that possibility. If it were something natural to the desert region however, very near to where the Israelites had been living for over 400 years, would they have had to ask what it was?

What we do know for sure is:

It was like coriander seed, had an appearance like bdellium(is an aromatic gum like myrrh that is exuded from a tree) , had to be gathered, they had to grind it, they boiled it and made cakes from it. It fell with the morning dew, during first 5 work days of the week, the people were only to gather enough for that day, because it would badly spoil quickly.

What could this have been?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

•  

"It was white like coriander seed and tasted like wafers made with honey. "

When I was a kid, when I read those chapters, I thought that meant graham crackers falling from the sky

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/148916/200.jpg

until I asked my grandmother if that's what communion was made of and she explained it.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Some sort of bread or maybe rice.

Answer by louise2 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Had to be some kind of grain if they had to grind it to make cakes.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• "It was white like coriander seed and tasted like wafers made with honey. " Exodus 16:31
    The manna was like coriander seed and looked like resin."Numbers 11:7
    'Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the desert when I brought you out of Egypt.' Exodus 16?32
    The Israelites ate manna forty years, until they came to a land that was settled; they ate manna until they reached the border of Canaan. Exodus 16:35
    Manna had to meet all the nutritional needs of the Israelites because it sustained them for 40 years."But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!" Numbers 11:6
    When the dew settled on the camp at night, the manna also came down. numbers 11:9
    "he rained down manna for the people to eat, he gave them the grain of heaven. " Psalm 78"24
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't know what it could have been, to tell you the truth. There is some speculation that it was some form of barley or unsprouted wheat, though. They use both in Ezekiel 4:9 bread, and I believe they both can be considered nutritionally sound enough to sustain nutrition - although I don't know THAT for certain.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We have a donut company out here in Southern CA called "Manna Doughnuts," and they actually have amazing doughnuts!

I think that whatever it was (whether some seed we still have, or not) it was a miraculous event. And it was a sign that found fulfillment in Jesus. "Jesus said, "I assure you, Moses didn't give them bread from heaven. My Father did. And now he offers you the true bread from heaven . . . Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst." (Jn 6)

Even this miraculous "bread" from heaven could not satisfy nor save them. But it pointed to Jesus. Who does satisfy and save us!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• LOL! Can you imagie walking around with Boxes of Honey Maid falling on your head? LOL!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I simply interpreted it as some sort of bread like substance. What I found more interesting about that story was that they couldnt get greedy with it. If they gathered MORE than what was needed just for that day, the manna spoiled and it was unedible. They finally got the message that they were to trust that God would provide everyday as promised.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm glad you said that momofsaee.... that is sooo true.... andGod proved Himself trustworthy and faithful didn't He?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009