How do I get my cats to stop pooping on the rug?

had a male cat in the past and he sprayed. Now I have two female cats, and they keep pooping in the area that the male cat sprayed. Is there anything I can buy or do that will make them stop? They DO use the litter box mostly, but sometimes, there is a "special present" for me to clean up. Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I have always used a product called Odo-ban. I have bought it at pet supply stores and Walmart before. It's a concentrated liquid that you spray in that area and it "kills" the odor. Works for puke, and poo from ALL forms of life!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• put them outside where they belong
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my mom told me white vinager if sprayed in the area will keep the kittys away!
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 12:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We've also been having a problem with this, so I am very interested to see all the responses. I've also heard about the white vinegar thing, but haven't yet tried.

Have you taken them to the vet to check for problems? At one time, 2 of our cats had a UTI at the same time...and, of course, those are the same 2 cats we are having the problems with.

Anon 11:58 ~~ Either help her out or sit it out and shut up!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Apple cider vinegar will clean up the area, and remove the scent so even their sensitive noses can't find it to "re-mark" the place if they are just doing it because they have gone there before, or to try and cover the scent of the cat that sprayed there. The vinegar smell goes away in a few hours, and even before it does, its certainly more pleasant than the smell of cat feces! Use it liberally, 1 cup to a gallon of warm (NOT hot!) water. The vinegar doesn't cover the cat poop smell, it neutralizes it.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• There's a pet odor eliminator I use WITH the odoban...it's orange scented and it works well for my female.

KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 1:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009