Sleeping thru the night and needing to be held in order to sleep.

Hi, I have a 4 week old. I'm not expecting her to sleep thru the night yet, but any tips or suggestions on how to start working her towards that goal would be great.

Also, she basically refuses to sleep on her own.. she pulls this thing where at night she only will sleep if she's held, I got her a co-sleeper bed for my bed thinking that would help, but it doesn't. As soon as I put her down, she wakes up and wants to be held. I don't hold her when she sleeps during the day because I don't want it to be a habit and she is fine with sleeping on her own during the day. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow she's a tummy sleeper at 4 weeks =) my son was a tummy sleeper around 3 months old. just keep laying her on her back. ! try a nightlight, try some white noise, and if she becomes fussy once you lay her down, leave the room and give her just a few minutes to settle down. if she continues fussing or it escalates, pick her up, rule out a soiled diaper, trapped gas, hunger etc., rock her and lay her back down. she will eventually know that crib=sleep! my son got the hang of it around 4 m/o. it was a tiring process for me lol but it worked out!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Do you swaddle her? That was the ONLY thing that worked for my DS.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• At four weeks, she's NORMAL. There's rally nothing yo can do but swaddle at this point. DOn't look for five hours a night for a few months yet...and five hoursa night is sleeping through.

It MAY happen that she sleeps through wihtin the first six months...but that's all on HER. What you do will make YOU feel like you're taking action but won't change much about her response.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Is there any difference between where/how you lay her down during the day and what you're doing at night? Is there more light during the day, does she need a nightlight on? For my kids, I got a silkie blanket that I wore under my shirt during the day and tucked it in with them at night, so it had my scent on it. I also got them a heartbeat bear (some of them come with the silkie blanket) so they were hearing the same sounds they heard when I was holding them - the heartbeat is sound/motion activated so if they stir it cuts back on. The thing eats batteries, but it definitely helped them learn to sleep through the night (and I consider that 8 plus hours, not 5) by 3 months.

Answer by missanc at 12:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You can't do anything to "work towards the goal" of sleeping through the night. They will do it when they are ready, when they get enough food in their tummies during the day that they don't get hungry at night...and NO cereal in the stupid bottle does NOT work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I've tried swaddling, but she doesn't like it because she has to have her arms and legs out. I keep the lights on during the day.. so maybe she needs a nightlight. I have a sleep position thing that has the heartbeat sound also.. but I'll have to try the smell thing. I think part of her problem might be that she likes to sleep on her stomach, I just laid her on her back and she woke up fussy but then I flipped her and she was fine. But I know she isn't supposed to be on her stomach haha so that isn't really a good fix. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!! Every little bit helps because I start work full time next week and do night duty solo since hubby is deployed.
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yes, that's pretty normal. I couldn't put my DD down until she was 8 wks. I mean, not at all, like not even for 1 second. She screamed like a banshee for two whole months. She didn't start sleeping on her own until 8 wks. I had to sleep with her on top of me or right next to me. She wouldn't even let me put her in a boppy, bassinet, nothing. We did a modified CIO at 2 mos. after consulting my doc. where we rocked her to sleep, put her down, and then checked on her every 5-10 mins. It is not for wimps and pretty hard on everyone, but now she's 5 mos. and puts herself to sleep and actually hates being held or rocked to sleep. It took about two weeks for her to accept the crib and she only started sleeping through at 5 mos. People disgree with that method, but its' worked for us and I'm sorry, but I'm not about to have a 2 year old who can't sleep by themselves...I work full-time, too, so I know how u feel.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009