Do you think it's wrong to have a large family?

I know many people that think having a large family is really selfish, greedy and ridiculous. My husband and I would love to have a larger family, we love parenting and can provide for our children. Keep in mind, we are not materialistic--we do not think each child needs their own bedroom and bathroom, we do not think they each need a fully funded college account and we don't think they need every toy on the planet. We don't care about status, lifestyle or all that other stuff.

What do you think?

Maximummy

Asked by Maximummy at 11:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you can afford to have lots of kids go for it. I am sure you know it is a 18 year financial commitment per child?

Answer by louise2 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• As long as you can afford it, have as many kids as you want.

For ME, a large family would be a tremendous mistake.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I guess it depends on what you consider large? More than two, more than five, more than 10? I think it's up to the individual. I'm one of 5 kids (which most people around here considered large) and I had a GREAT time growing up - I'm still very close to my brothers and sister. I have 4 and if my health would allow I would have at least one more.

Answer by missanc at 12:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• What do you consider a large family? Some people consider it more than 2 children, however when I hear "large family" I think of it in terms of more than 4 kids.

If you totally understand the definition of the word "selfish" then I guess most of us are selfish for even having one kid. We have children to reproduce. To keep the population going. To pass on a family name. To love and care for a child we WANT. Even if the pregnancy is an "oops" those who choose to keep the baby are, by definition, selfish. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Even choosing to NEVER have kids is, by definition, selfish. You're doing something YOU want.

I think that if you have the financial means to provide the basic essentials children need, have as many as you want! All those extra's like you mentioned are NOT pertinent to child rearing.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think you should have as many children as you like. Providing that you take care of them, feed them, cloth them, love them and teach them to be decent human beings.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 12:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If I could afford it, I would have BUNCHES!!! Ok, maybe only like 3 or 4 more! (I have one beautiful DD) :) But, ya!!! Go for it!

I hear people say things like," I'm worried about bringing another child into this messed up world!" Really??? So because there are bad things out there every one should STOP procreating??? LOL
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 12:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• As long as you have enough time to love each child as an individual, and can take care of them then yeah, But people used to mostly have large families to help out on the farm work, but these day's it's hard raising 1 or 2, even though you can get assistance to help with some things I wouldn't have a huge family unless I was rich!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I wish I could have one more, we have 3 and Hubby feels that's plenty. I feel very blessed but I feel like I'm not finished. I agree with the others, if you can give him/her everything they need to be well rounded little people then goodluck and go for it!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• As long as you can meet their needs, why care what other people think?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• For me the 3 I have seems like alot, but for you why should it matter what I think? As long as I don't have to babysit for you go for it.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009