School is starting and we do not have the income for back to school shopping what to do

We have two girls ages 8yrs. and 11 yrs. I have been on unemployment for awhile and have been working only part time picking up hours where I work when there is work offered. Money is tight, but my 11 yr.old is starting middle school and needs clothing ( she out grew pretty much everything ) Is there some place that sells clothing that is well not that used looking. We live in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ
Thanks for any help!

Sunsetbrz

Asked by Sunsetbrz at 12:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• What size is she? Maybe there are some members that can send you a thing or two that there kids have out grown or just don't want anymore.
    Dianneakamommy

Answer by Dianneakamommy at 12:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Is there no Goodwill around there?

I just Googled "thrift stores in NJ". This is what it gave me.
    http://new-jersey.uscity.net/Thrift_Stores/

I would worry about getting her into clothes that fit. I wouldn't be worried about if they are hip or if she likes them!
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 12:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You might also check with your school district...some have programs to assist parents in situations like yours.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• hi I live in ocean county too. what sizes? Look also in the ocean county telephone book for consignment shops they're usually very clean clothes. Sometimes hospitals or a visiting nurses's association will have a thrift shop they administer. Do you need any school book supplies? We have tons of extras from being forgetful and not checking closets. pm me if you want. I live in northern ocean county bordering southern monmouth county. We've shopped consignment before ourselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I used to live there so I know there aren't many thrift stores. You could try churches also maybe you could check out clearance racks at mandees and joyce leslie. I used to buy jeans there for sometimes 8 dollars a pair and shirts for about the same they always have a 70% off rack and maybe just buy a couple items at a time to slowly build up a winter wardrobe for her. Check out craigslist to. My husbands cousin is kinda in a rough spot right now and that is how she has picked up some items for her two girls.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• 1145anon here, now if you want you can pm me. Sorry didn't mean to hit anon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• AHHHHHGH!!!!!! I'm really not as brainless as I am right here now. I'm running back and forth to cafemom and cooking supper too.

This is first 1145 here, anon. I'm lfl, pm me if you want. I know Manasquan NJ used to have a fantastic consignment shop on Broad St across from a restaurant and the library. Maybe it's run the the Visiting Nurse Association of Monmouth County? Also in Brick Nj, really not that far from you, I have family near Pomona NJ so where you are to Brick with a car is doable .... on Route 88 east just past Walgreen's is a thrift shop, maybe run by Brick Ocean Medical Center? Definitely have tons of extra book supplies if your interested, more than clothes from me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• In my adult dd's community the school has a clothes closet for school uniforms since the county schools wear uniforms. Many churches have a clothes closet. In our community the local tv station tells everyone where to go for free school supplies. You can call the Good will or Salvation Army and tell them you need school clothes. If they won't give them to you then they may tell you where you can get some free. Most charities know where to go for what so just ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• go to www.freecycle.org and see if anyone has the sizes you need

Answer by admckenzie at 1:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2009