just had baby...how long after?

so i just had a beautiful baby gurl on sunday...she was born at 5:55am,and weighs 8lbs 15 oz...i had to have a c section after 71 hours of labor! my pelvis was just too small....anyhoo on to my question...how long after a csection should i start to feel semi better again?

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I started to feel better after about 7 days and was able to start some light exercise - walking 2 to 3 miles. By week 5 I was back to running. I am now 8 wks post op and the numb feeling by the incision is almost gone.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 12:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• if walking 2-3 miles is light exercise i'm a freaking fat out of shape cow.

congrats on your bebe!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Lol...Staciandbaby...I should probably add that before I was pregnant I was running 6 to 8 miles a day and during my pregnancy I ran 4 miles a day until I was around 6 months and after that I walked daily about 5 miles up until the day before I delivered. So for me 2-3 miles is light.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 12:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Congratulations on your baby!! :)

Everyone is different. I started to feel fine within a week of both of my c-sections, but I'm about to have my 3rd, so we'll see. Some people it takes them a very long time to feel better. It really just depends on the person.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 12:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I was out and about showing off my baby 5 days after my C-section, and took a 5-hour car ride to the beach a couple of days after that. But mine was scheduled, I didn't have to go through all the exhaustion of labor first, so it might be a bit different for you.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I do not know what kind of birth you had. If you were on your back, were induced, and weren't allowed or encouraged to walk around I would seriously hesitate to believe the diagnosis that your pelvis was too small UNLESS you have a known genetic deformity or had an accident that affected your pelvis.

Women's pelvises aren't fused, they move. When you squat or on hands and knees the pelvic outlet increases it dimensions by 33% and works WITH gravity. When you are flat on your back or semi-reclined the pelvic outlet REDUCES and works against gravity. In addition, a baby's head molds...if rushed with induction, the skull may not be given the time they need to mold as nature designed. The odds are in your favor that there is NOTHING at all wrong with your pelvis.

As for when you will feel better, you shouldn't have an expectation. Everyone deals with major surgery different. Some people heal fast and some not.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I just had my son 7 weeks ago by C-SECTION too and he weighed 8lbs 12oz but was 9 days early so he would have been over 9lbs if went to 40 weeks, lol and I sometimes once in awhile feel some pain down there but maybe its cause he was so big. I couldn't walk for 1-2 days after he was born and if I did it was so slow, and was on percocets for the pain. Holding my son even on just my stomach hurt for a few weeks and is ok now since like 2 weeks ago. So maybe around 4 weeks u might be better. It was my first c-section, the other two were not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I had a c-section about 2 weeks ago and it was after laboring for days. I've been able to walk and clean and do things easier with this section than I was with my first, oddly, which was an elective so it's supposed to have a MUCH easier recovery. I'll say that what has helped me the most was the ability to sit and not be forced to get up and move those first 2 days with this one. THe day of my section with my first they were forcing me out of bed and I didn't feel semi-normal for months after. You have to allow yourself to rest when you need to and get up and move when you feel like it.
    My baby was over 9lbs, I'm a thin woman when I'm not pregnant, and she was going to come right out had her head been in the right position (Which was completely my fault because I didn't sit correctly most of the time before she was engaged, my dumb butt.). You can't let a doctor tell you something like that, hun.
    Pishyah

Answer by Pishyah at 2:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009