3 hour glucose test for gestational diabetes- QUESTION!

I posted this yesterday and would like to hear from more people who have taken this test.

i got my instructions in the mail from the doctor

it says this

1. you are to eat 1 candy bar each day for 2 days prior to this test.

2. you cannot have anything to eat or drink after midnight from the night before the test

does number 1 mean that i'm ONLY supposed to eat a candy bar a day for two days and nothing else?

anyone who has done this know?

Because i haven't heard of ANYONE else having to eat candy bars, i just think i'm going to not do it.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had to eat bananas or drink grapefruit juice. I wish I would have been told to eat a candy bar..lol
    Sorry I don't remember how much I had to eat/drink. The test is horrible. I had to drink this super sweet orange soda type stuff and have blood drawn an hour after that, then had to do it again 2 more times. I felt like crap!!! Sorry you have to go through it.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 12:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I never heard about that!

I do know that it was around Easter time when I had this sweet tooth and ate as much candy as I could, along with my food.... Then I was given that test, but I was NOT asked to eat candy prior t that test! I did have gestational diabetes, though and had to stop the candy.

I tried to eat the amount of food suggested by the doctor, but had to call as I found I couldn't eat all that food. He said, "Don't eat so much." Duh.

I'd call the doctor's office and ask them.

Peace and Love
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 12:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Wow, Ive never heard of that. I failed my first test too and had to do the 3 hr test. I remember being very hungry but I couldnt eat. I passed the second one but not by much. I was complaining to the doctor because everytime I had anything with sugar in it, I would get weak and tired and lethargic. It was like my body couldnt process the sugar. I stopped drinking soda, even sprite, anything sweet and even meat made me sick. She went ahead and did my glucose testing early and during this pregnancy, I gained nothing. So when he was born, that 25 lbs I should have gained, came off me in less than 10 days. I felt horribly sick.

I think you should just call and ask them to be more specific. You want to do it correctly, but seriously, Ive never heard of them asking you to eat sugar.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Some drs have you eat a high carb diet for a couple days before hand to see if your sugars really are going to be high. No you should not JUST eat the candy bars, but they are wanting you to eat a bunch of carbs so that if you are in fact diabetic it's more likely to show up when they do the 3 hour test.

You could drink a lot of soda or other high carb drinks, eat a lot of sandwiches. (you'll miss them once you are diagnosed as gestational diabetic if you are) Eat a lot of fruit. Stuff like that will fill you up with carbs.

The drink is the same as the one hour test, just maybe a bit more of it. The hardest part for me was always fasting because by morning when I went in for the test I was soooo hungry and then couldn't eat for another 3 hours. YUCK YUCK YUCK. I took a few snacks with me for as soon as I was done so that I wouldn't be driving home all hungry after the test. Also take a book or magazine or something to do.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 12:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I just don't understand how a doctors office could have print out information that is SO vague like this. It's got typos and those old school "microsoft word images" for pictures on it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Basically they want your body to have practice metabolizing sugar for the few days before the test so it isn't a huge shock to your system to process all that sugar at once during the test. The candy bar would be in addition to a healthy diet, not instead of.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Never heard of eating candy bars before the test. Maybe ever dr is different. I am on my 4th preg and with each one of them I was told to just not eat anything after midnight. Nothing about candy bars, high carbs or anything. I know that I did not pass the 1 hour test but I always pass the 3 hour test.
    Tarabon

Answer by Tarabon at 1:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• "For three days before the test, you'll be told to eat at least 150 grams of carbohydrate a day. If you eat a normal diet and have an extra piece of bread at each meal, you'll likely be getting enough carbs. For eight to 14 hours before the test, you can't eat or drink anything but sips of water (and you're not supposed to smoke or exercise either), so you'll want to schedule it for first thing in the morning.

When you arrive for the test, the technician will take a blood sample to measure your "fasting blood glucose level" and then ask you to drink either a more concentrated dose or a larger volume of the glucose solution. Then brace yourself for three more arm pricks, as your blood is tested every hour for the next three hours. The technician should alternate arms each time she draws your blood. Bring something to eat right after your final blood sample is drawn because you'll be starving."
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• "If one of the readings is abnormal, your practitioner may ask you to make some changes in your diet and exercise routine. If two or more of your readings are abnormal, you'll be diagnosed with gestational diabetes but the treatment plan is still a change of diet and exercise. This chart shows the levels that the American Diabetes Association considers abnormal at each interval of the test: Fasting 95 mg/dl or higher ; One hour 180 mg/dl or higher ; Two hours 155 mg/dl or higher ; Three hours 140 mg/dl or higher."

This condition only lasts as long as pregnancy and for the vast majority of women is fixed by proper diet — a small number of women who develop diabetes during pregnancy still have it after delivery (these actual diabetics are the women they are trying to find), so you'll be likely be advised to test after six weeks postpartum.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm going to vent now :) Okay? Indulge me ...

I will NEVER understand why they don't just don't let patients eat a normal high carb breakfast of syrup and pancakes and orange juice for the first test (practitioners DO do this if you get lucky enough to find one), rather than making pregnant women fast and then having them drink a disgusting slurry of syrup. Honestly, WHO drinks slurry on an empty stomach in five minutes? And one doctor will simply screen anyone with a level of 130 creating high false positives, and another 140. No consistency! All this to dected the 2-5% of women who are ACTUAL diabetics. They also should really pay attention to who is spilling protein in their urine and who has high blood pressure, and who isn't, to be sure they aren't needlessly stressing pregnant women.

It's medical insanity. Okay vent over. Promise :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009