If your child stayed behind or ran away to chruch, would they be in trouble with you?

Here is why I ask. I talked about this with my mother years ago and never understood how Jesus could have been considered without sin if he stayed behind when the rest of his family was leaving. I understand that he stayed "with God" but I don't see how that changes the fact that he didn't obey his parents who I am sure told him they were leaving!

So, if your child just doesn't go with you somewhere even though they are told to, are they not wrong? How is it that this is not considered sin? If my kid had just not come with us, he would be grounded til he was 30... I swear!

Honest question... I've always wondered this and no one can seem to answer it.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think kids were free to run at that time. I know when we were kids we could go out in the country most of the day and my parnets would ring a bell to come home. Maybe he was just found preaching and had not been given prior directions as to what he was supposed to be doing. just when they looked for him he was found in the temple.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• there are big holes in the Jesus story. Like he was a baby. Then all of a sudden he was a grown man. What happened to those other years?

Answer by louise2 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't see how they could have not told him. I mean if you are leaving the city you would tell your 12 year old. Even in those day! Not to mention they had a huge number of people leaving, he had to know. Also, the bible says they looked for him. So they didn't even know he was in the temple... Either way, he disobeyed his parents...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Hey, thats a very valid question and one that I have thought about. I even asked my dad one time about it. The verse goes on to read that Jesus said to them, hey, dont you know that Im doing the work of my father in Heaven? So basically he was saying to them, I knew you were leaving but I was being obedient to my Father. Mary and Joseph were only the earthly parents and they didnt see the big picture. He did and he was trying to explain to them that he had work to do. God was the authority in this scenario, not Mary and Joseph. God is Jesus's biological father. He was being obedient to Him. I think Mary and Joseph finally realized what he was doing and accepted that, but theres not many more accounts of the life of Christ until he was an adult. This is the only way Ive understood this story. I am one that believes Gods Word is true and that I dont question, but there are many things I wonder. Maybe someone else has an insight.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with momofsaee. I would be so upset if I was Mary; not only did I lose my precious child, but I lost the Messiah!!!!! AHHHHH!!!! She probably thought, "God is going to be so mad at me!" LOL.

But when Jesus says, "Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" He is showing that He is obeying His Father. So Jesus didn't sin by staying behind. He just gave His parents a heart attack.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• acts 5:29

We must obey God as ruler rather than men
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I really like the answer momofsaee gave - that's the one that really makes the most sense to me, anyway, LOL.

Yes, we are supposed to honor our mother and father as the commandment tells us (Exodus 20:12), BUT we are to honor God first. And, like she said, God was Jesus' father, so in that respect he WAS being obedient.

I dunno . . . I guess it really is a confusing scenario and one that to be honest I never thought about!!

And, louise2, there are stories of Jesus' childhood in the gnostic books (those weren't included when the church was editing the bible). And in the story we're speaking of here, he was 12 years old.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with what you are saying, but I think that times were differnt then. Also Mary and Joseph already had visitations from Angels and knew that he was Gods son so maybe that helped them understand. (Although I still may have grounded him LOL)
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Mary & Joseph also had some guilt here. Why would you leave the city and NOT have your child beside you when you leave? I mean would any of you go to a major city and then just leave not knowing 100% that your 12 year old son was with you? I think this is also part of why they were so upset. They assumed he was with someone else and didn't check.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It was explained to me several years ago that the culture at the time emphasized the extended family. Jesus, Mary and Joseph would have been traveling with aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. The women of the extended family would have traveled together, while the men traveled together. It would have been easy for Jesus' absence to go undetected for awhile, with Mary thinking that Jesus was with the cousins or with Joseph. Likewise, Joseph may have thought Jesus was with the cousins or with Mary.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 5:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009