What makes you a Republican or a Democrat?

How do you know if either one is right for you?

grandmasix

Asked by grandmasix at 1:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I consider myself a democrat for several reasons. First, i was raised in a house full of democrats. Secondly, I have always worked very closely with organizations who rely on government funds in order to help the community...without the funds, they would collapse. I like the government being involved. Right or wrong, I believe that the government should be involved in our country's well being, yet leave women to decide how to treat their own bodies. I have always also felt that republican party is old school, and this election really kind of settled any uncertainties about that for me. I honestly don't know a lot about it all but I am registered dem because I disagree with less of their general ideas.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• education
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• http://www.aclj.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=3319

This. and abortion!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• how do you know

Anonymous

• My moral and ethical convictions....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm currently registered as a Republican. I grew up in a Republican household which is part of the reason I have the views I do. Now that i'm an adult, i've formed my own opinions (sharing mostly Republican views along with a few Democrat ones as well) and plan on registering as an Independent next time around.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I'm not either. They both suck. That question use to mean something, but all it means now is who are you blaming for what?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• human rights and seperation of church and state cause me to be democrat
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Neither party is right for me. I make my own decisions, I don't follow party rhetoric.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I trust hinking and reason over emotion and reaction.

Yeah, I'm Conservative.

And I don't think Republican vs Democrat is a real distinction unless you specify conservative (as in - value the Constitution) vs progressive (as in -want the Constitution to change to match what you want it to say so you can do what you want to do)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009