who do u get your child to do homework

mkisafunjob

Asked by mkisafunjob at 1:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Who or how? Who = they have to do their own homework but can ask for help. How? = No tv or playstation until it's done.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think the key is starting young--from Kindergarten/1st grade on up...and not making it "optional!" If it means sitting down and helping them or being in the same room as them while they are doing it, I think it's essential to not let it "slide!"

Consistency is the key with just about EVERYTHING when it comes to child rearing! :o)

You could develop a "rewards" based system, and an extra "surprise" if their hard work and studying pays off in better grades (test and overall), if your child needs a motivator. Of course, taking preferred privileges, toys/games, and activities away from them for not doing their homework is pretty effective too!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I started with my daughter in the first grade (cause they didnt get homework in kindergarten) she has to come in and do homework first, no snacks no drinks no nothing till its done, if we have to go somewhere such as practice or gs she has to do as muchof it before we leave the house the rest she does the car on the way. HOMEWORK COMES FIRST. she has to sit at the kitchen or living room table (depending on what projects i got going on at the kitchen table) so we can watch her. I made it very clear that I would not bend on the homework if its not done she gets the schools punishment (silent lunch, no recess etc) plus she has to miss a practice or gs meeting or event. You have to show them that its important and must be done!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I AM WAY BEYOND THOSE HOMEWORK DAYS, BUT I HAD A SPECIFIC TIME FOR HOMEWORK, AND PLACE. I INSTILLED PRIDE IN WHATEVER THEY HAD TO PUT THEIR NAMES ON. EVERYTIME THEY WERE FINISHED WITH THE HOMEWORK, IT WAS CHECKED BY ME AND IF DIDN'T PASS THE PRIDE STANDARDS, I WOULD RIP IT AND THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN. THEY CAUGHT ON QUICK AND MOST OF THE TIME THEIR HOMEWORK WAS NEAT, AND CORRECT, OTHERWISE THEY KNEW THEY WOULD BE WORKING DOUBLE..
    SOME ELSE MENTION CONSISTENCY, VERY TRUE INDEED!

Answer by older at 1:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• If it is how he does it when he gets home from after-school care. I don't like him doing it there because I want him to play and socialize. When we get home he sits at the table and does it while I cook dinner. Who is usually me unless dad picks him up and I am still working.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• when he gets home from school .give a snack and talk about his day in school. Then tell him he's got to do his homework. then he can go do whatever he likes . (within reason). Put him in a quiet room kitchen. or dinning room. with no noise whatsoever. and you can stay in the next room and make sure he does his homework.. but dont let him know that. just sit there and read a book or do a crossword puzzle' or read the paper.. do something quiet. you should let him know that if he needs help with something your always in the next room he could always just let you know and you'll be over to help him..
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't make my son do it right when he gets home. He needs downtime from being in school for 7 hours. He gets a snack, tv time or time to play with this friends. Then after dinner or while I am making dinner, he sits down and does his homework. My son needs the tv or music on in order to concentrate on his work, if it is too quiet he loses focus (he has ADHD and needs something in the background to force his mind to concentrate). I help him as much as possible, except for math..I don't understand half of what he is taught.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I let my son choose his homework time - within boundaries - but then that time sticks for the entire quarter (right now it's 4:45). That gave him some control over when and gives him some time to have a snack and "chill." He can choose to sit at the kitchen table, or at his desk in his room - another choice.
    He's in 4th grade this year and needs to start learning to work independently so we're working toward that goal. I do check his homework when he's finished and sign his agenda. If homework isn't done then he doesn't do anything else.

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Right after school, no If's ands buts or nuts about it!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I was a hardcore procrastinator when it came to homework and I was in all the honors classes....I still got As and Bs. As long as they are responsible enough to get it done, you should let them set the schedule, BUT if they aren't disciplined enough to do it - then it's a set schedule with no fun activities (except maybe 1/2 hour tv to relax before starting) until it's done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009