A good *cheap* red wine to cook with?

But isn't a salt or vinegar wine like "cooking wines" tends to be.

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 1:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• OK you never want to cook with a wine you woudn't want to drink
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• What the pp say's is very true my dh is a chef and he always says this.

I like Yellow Tail Shiraz it is not expensive and it tastes good
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 2:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's is good wine. And, yes it's about two bucks.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 2:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The rule of thumb I learned was to never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink, because the cooking process isn't going to make that wine taste any better.

For cooking with a red wine, I tend to use something like Sutter Home or Beringer, either a cabernet savignon or merlot.

Although, Charles Shaw is sold at a lot of Trader Joe's for about $2-3 a bottle. Just go in and ask them where the "Two Buck Chuck" is. It sounds like rot gut, but it scored in the high 90's in the CA state fair over more expensive wines and took first prize.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Currently I have a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from Foxhorn vineyards. I got mine from winn-dixie, I think it was about $6.00 for the bottle, it's a 1.5 liter bottle.

I used some last week to make some beef Bourguignon, it turned out FAN-tastic. The boys kept telling saying I like this I like this.

I also have a bottle of dry sherry that I use sometimes to deglaze the pan when I'm doing pork chops.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009