Can I bake ground turkey?

I'm making soup and using ground turkey instead of ground beef. It's not all greasy so it won't make a mess like beef does. So can I just season it and put in the oven straight from the freezer? Or do is HAVE to defrost and cooked on the stove top?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 1:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I've baked ground turkey before lots of time like a Turkey meat loaf; however I've never baked anything in the oven that hasn't been defrosted first. Not saying you can't but I don't have expereince in cooking that way. GL
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Always defrost food before cooking to make sure it is at the correct cooked temperature to avoid problems.

ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Of course you can. You can make meatloaf. I prefer turkey to ground beef.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would defrost anything before baking it. I have baked ground trukey to make meatloaf many times. I'm sure you can bake it for other recipies as well.
    Panya81

Answer by Panya81 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Depending on what you're making and how long it will be in the oven, I don't think that defrosting it would be needed. I do chicken that way, putting it in frozen and then season it halfway through cooking. Peices though, I'd never do it with a whole bird.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009