here is the problem. my daughter is 6 months old. she is not sleeping through the night yet?

she takes her bath at 7 pm, then she does soothing play and reads a story...then at 8pm I start the bottle and she doesnt want to take it since she ate at 630 or so and isnt hungry...she is more tired. so she goes down at 9 pm...then every night she gets up at 12- she cries, i feed her and she eats 4-5 ounces ...then she gets up at 4 pm and eats again. one of them is usually more than the other feeding but she eats. then goes right back to bed. SHOULDNT SHE BE SLEEPING 6-7 HOURS STRAIGHT? HOW DO I GET HER ON A SCHEDULE? please email me exactly what to do since i am so tired and feel like i am not doing something right...

lisaturo125

Asked by lisaturo125 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies are all different...my girl didn't sleep 6-7 hours straight until she was almost 18 months old.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Also, if she is waking to eat, she is not ready to sleep thru the night.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Yep, ditto to the above answer
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son didn't sleep through the night for 5 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My daughter was the same way.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You can try putting her to bed a bit earlier ... this doesn't work for everyone, but it does for some babies. Especially if you say she eats at 6:30 and then is more tired than hungry at 9. Chances are, if you put her down with milk around 7 or 7:30 she'll give you a longer stretch. (You'll need to keep your bedtime/soothing routine consistent, though, so she'll get that it's actually bedtime). Of course, I say a longer stretch... not dawn till dusk. Neither of my girls did that until around 10 or 11 months; again, all kids are different. Also, if you can get her to go to bed without a pacifier I've found this to help stretch the sleep a bit, contrary to some conventional wisdom. If your baby falls asleep sucking, chances are she'll wake up wanting to suck again. We weaned from the pacifier at 5 or 6 months and this coincided with some longer stretches or quick wake-ups and putting themselves back to sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my son didnt "sleep through the night" till he was about 10 m/o. at 6 m/o he still prefered night nursing 2-3 times. just follow your daughter's cues! if she's tired, lay her down. she will fall into a schedule soon enough! keep up with the routine! this will help her fall into a schedule.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Is she on a schedule during the day? That might help the night thing. Also, our bodies get used to eating when we're used to being fed. If you rush to feed her at night then she's probably crying because she's used to being fed rather than that she is actually hungry. Yes, all kids are different but by 3 months most babies are capable of sleeping 6-8 hours at a time. I would try other methods of getting her to back to sleep when she wakes at night, including letting her fuss for a few minutes and see if she settles herself back down. The best book I ever read on this subject is BabyWise: Giving Your Child the Gift of Nighttime Sleep. I followed the plan in this book and all 4 of my children were sleeping at least 8 hours by 2 1/2 months.

Answer by missanc at 3:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009