Would you be upset if a teacher told your child that he/she cannot say a prayer in school?

My son was told, along with the rest of the class, yesterday at lunch NOT to pray and to just eat. We always pray before meals and I told him that in school when he's away from our table to say his prayers quietly and to himself if he would like to do so. Now he's being taught NOT to say them? Would you be mad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in

• I would speak to the administration and tell them that YOUR child can say his prayer if he wants to. Freedom of speech. If he is taking forever to do this and it's disrupting lunch (I don't see how but...) maybe talk to him and tell him to do a condensed version. I am assuming this is a public school?
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• YES...the state can dictate that the teachers not teach prayer but they cannot encroach on personal beliefs.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would be very upset.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I would be livid! My child should be allowed to pray anywhere he/she wanted to ... as I am free to do! Especially if he's saying them quietly to himself! I would definitely have a talk with the administration about this one.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 2:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• School staff can't tell someone NOT to pray. They can not teach prayer in public school.

I'd be talking to the person who spoke to your son, if no real response, then go over their head to the principal or board of education.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• He is legally allowed a silent prayer. contact the ACLU: www.aclu.org

Answer by rkoloms at 3:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• That's crazy! I am an atheist and feel that is wrong. There should be no rule against someone personally praying amongst oneself before a meal or any other time for that matter. Talk to the teacher to get a proper understanding of the situation. If that does not help speak to their principal. It is freedom of religion and shouldn't be obstructed.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 3:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• JUST HOmeschool you KID!! GOD!! iF HE IS HOMESCHOOLED HE DOSENT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PRAYING!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• no, I'd just inform her that she's mistaken, and needs to familiarize herself with the Establishment clause and how it applies to schools.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Well, no, I would do a happy dance.

sigh. Then I would contact the school and tell them they are taking things too far and out of proportion, and not helping the situation at all. Of course, kids who want to should be allowed to pray over their food...just not led to do so by the teachers. And to not coerce other kids who don't want to to do so anyway.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009