100% effaced no dilation 37.5 weeks

I had my Dr appt yesterday and she told me my cervix had thinned completely but I hadn't yet started to dilate. This seemed a little odd to me but she acted as if it were normal. Everytime I've every heard anyone talk about this they are dilated at least a little. I am just wondering if this has every happened to anyone else and how long after you went into labor? I know everyone is different but I'm just curious.

spbeta

Asked by spbeta at 2:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is possible to fully efface but not dilate but it is very uncommon. Have you ever had any biospy's taken from your cervix or anything? My aunt was in labor for 12 hours with her 4th before she went to the hospital to find out that she wasnt dilated at all but was fully effaced. She had scar tissue on her cervix that didnt allow her to dilate so they removed it (I dont know how) and within an hour, my cousin was born.

But at only 37 1/2 weeks, its probably a good thing that you arent dilating... that baby needs a little more time in there
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We went through infertility treatments so every inch of my reproductive system has been checked and checked so I doubt it is anything like that. Useful to know though, I go back to the Dr on the 3rd and if I haven't started dilating by then I may ask something about it.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 2:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• every woman is diffrent with my dd i was 4cm at 28 wks and with ds i was 4 cm at 32 wks. dd came at 38 and ds at 37.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Some women do not dilate until in actual labor. It's fine. Cervixes are all different.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My doctor told me that first time mothers tend to efface before they dilate. its what happened to me.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 2:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009