DOes homeschooling save you money??$$

:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is still a cost to education at home. Some join groups with fees, some share studies (one mom teaches math and another teaches english, etc) so there maybe transportation cost, there is the cost of the materials unless you can find a homeschool library like our community has. We took more field trips which cost gas and entry fees such as to museums, theatres, etc. I invested in an easel with board and markers for presenting formal lessons. I also subscribed to homeschool magazines to keep up with ideas and opinions and conferences. So there is a cost to homeschooling but I enjoyed doing it.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It still costs money to homeschool but I don't think as much as sending the kids to school. We spent about $60 on textbooks and curriculum supplies for 3 children (4th and 2nd grades and preschool) and then about $30 on supplies (pencils, crayons, paper, etc). Group and activity fees are still coming in but shouldn't be more than $40 for the 3 kids. We raided the yard sales and thrift shops for clothes (as there is no pressure to have "new" clothes for school) and stocked up for $20. So, $150 to get books, supplies, clothes and some activities for a year. There may be other incidental costs through the year for field trips and such but nominal. It is more about education than $$$. We want our kids to have the best education and believe that homeschooling does that. We have taken a drastic cut in pay for me to stay home. Only 1 income, we need to keep things cheap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Since I've never sent my children to public school it's hard for me to answer that. I don't know what our expenses would be if they were enrolled.

I have heard from some families that it's more expensive and others say it's less expensive. I guess it all depends on the fees for the public school in question and how much money you spend on your homeschooling. I'm a good shopper and find the lowest prices on school materials. I also invest in materials that are good for more than one year of school. We partake in a lot of free activities too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It seems less expensive to me. My friends tell me the cost of back-to-school supply lists is about $60 per kid. I spend maybe $50 on curriculum products for two kids for a year. I spend less than $10 a year of school supplies for two kids; I can pick up just what I need instead of supplying a classroom. 

The public school also has non-stop fund-raisers going on, I don't have to deal with that.  I belong to two homeschool groups, only one has a fee of $10.  We get the same discounts for field trips that the public schools get, so no more fees there.  We also participate in free programs and activities through the library and the homeschool group.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• It depends on the district you live in & on what materials you choose. For this year, it would cost $400-$500 to send both my kids to ps. That's not counting field trips, extra supplies they end up needing mid-year, or extras like band, drama, or sports. I spent about $1000 this year on school materials for them. I know that sounds like a lot. However, it includes a Math program for ds that covers 1st-6th grade level Math, so we don't need to buy Math for him for years (he's 5yo). It also includes multiple levels of a phonics program for him, multiple level of a Latin program for dd (non-consum, so we can use with ds later), & other non-consum materials for dd that will be used for ds later. Plus, the Math program we use for dd(11) is about $200 per yr. Expensive, yes, but it's the best we've found for her & it's non-consum, so ds will use it later. Plus, each year we buy some non-consum tools (telescope, microscope, etc
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 4:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2009