His weight is lower than average....

Today we went to dr. and he said his height is top 10 and his weight is under average. What should I feed him? He is one year old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 3 1/2 and still underweight. HE EATS ALL THE TIME! The doc said that hopefully he will catch up. His 2 year old sister is the same height and weight as him. I get asked if I have twins ALL the time! Be patient.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• 2 of my 3 kids are like this - tall and skinny. They are all perfectly healthy. You feed him healthy foods to get him started with healthy habits. Under average does not necessarily mean underweight, so unless your doctor told you his weight is a problem just keep feeding him healthy portions of healthy foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Both my kids are much lower on the weight chart than the height chart. Both are in the 90th+ percentile for height and maybe the 40th-50th for weight. My hubby and I were the same way growing up- it's just a matter of genetics (for me I didn't even out until my teens, my hubby was in his 20's). Just make sure you area giving him healthy things to eat and he'll be fine.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 2:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Sometimes kids are just small regardless of what you feed them. I don't agree with giving them "fattening" foods, a normal healthy well balanced diet is what a child needs. One of my nephews has been underweight his whole life, he eats like an adult (he's 9 now) and is still very skinny and tall, its just how he is!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My kids have always been higher on the height chart than weight. My middle son was like the 3% for weight when he was 1, and he's still there, teetering on being underweight - but he eats like a horse! A lot of that is genetic. Just keep offering him healthy foods, as long as the ped wasn't concerned, he's fine.

To the pp - my son and daughter are 8 and 9 1/2 and I still get asked all the time if they're twins!

Answer by missanc at 3:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son has always been below average for his weight and above average for his height. He has ALWAYS been like this. As long as your child is growing at a steady rate then that is what is normal for him. It would only really be a concern if he has always been way above average and then all of a sudden is way below average or vice versa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My son was in the 5th percentile for his weight for the longest time just recently he had a well child checkup and has jumped to the 25th percentile, As long as he is eating healthy foods and portions he will catch up. I have a niece who is 5 and she is still below average. Did they tell you what percentile his weight was in? My dr. said its nothing to worry about as long as he is eating.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2009