what do I do about vaccinating my baby?

I'm trying to figure out if I want to give my 3.5 month old baby girl vaccines.
Any input would be quite helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Health

• I believe that the benefits greatly out weigh the downfalls of what "might" happen if you do vacinate.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You will need to do some research for yourself. Since you are sitting at a computer, trying doing a Googlesearch for information about vaccines, both pros and cons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree with jenree. I think the potential for harm if you don't vac outweighs the potential for harm if you do. A lot of people who say that they don't vac because they figure the chances of their whild getting that particular illness don't understand herd immunity. The whole reason that kids (who weren't vac'd) stopped getting sick as often with diseases that require a vac is because every other shild was vac'd so there was nobody to catch it from. As more and more people choose not to vac their kids that safety net is becoming weaker and weaker- so non-vac'd people can't depend on the herd immunity to keep them safe. There was a huge mumps outbreak here in a mennonite community where all the kids go without vac. Mumps can cause sterility in boys. If you are nervous you could spread out the vac instead of doing a number all at once like ususally happens.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 2:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Someone once put it to me this way.....you are avoiding the inevitable. They will need them to get into schools. And even if you plan on homeschooling all 12 years, then when they face college they will still need them. And as first response said, the benefits do outweigh the possible risks. My son is 1 year and just had his 1 year round today. Not the best thing, but he is developmentally fine. Actually ahead in his fine motor skills.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• you dont NEED vaccines, to get into school, there are waivers you can sign and get signed. but do the research, i delayed vaccines, and now selectively vaccinate. i also agree the benefits outweigh the risks, but i also believe that, thats a lot of stuff to put into a tiny body. so thats what i did, but i spent ALOT of time researching before i made my decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• it's quite a debate about the pros and cons! but that safety net theory as described by another responder is very true. the law in my town requires all vaccines to attend public school, regardless of religious beliefs etc. I recommend you do some research which will be endless, but worth it and keep it mind either side has scare tactics, facts and myths! whatever sounds right to you, go for it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My closest friend is a nurse and her husband is an ER dr and they vaccinate. He told me in the ER he gets at least one case a week of an unvaccinated baby that is running a high fever and standar procedure if they haven't been vaccinated is to do a spinal tap, but he's yet to personally see a problem related to vaccinations.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• To each their own but I personally feel that I have a social responsibility to vaccinate my children. I agree with the previous posters, the benefits greatly outweigh what might happen. I would never want my child to make another child sick.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 3:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I do vaccinate my son and will my baby girl when she is born. But the anon 2:50 is correct that there are religious waivers that can be signed, however, not all schools are obligated to accept them or your child. The school you want can turn you down, and if a public school allows your unvaccinated child it puts your child and others at more risk.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009