3 year old with one bad attitude problem??? Help me Please!

my dd is 3 and she has the worst attitude problem, she screams at me, tells me no all the time, demands that i do things for her, ex. mom i want chocolate milk hold on sweetie give mommy one minute, NO I WANT IT NOW. and she will repeat it like 40 or 50 times before i just give in. If i don't do what she wants when she wants it the screaming starts. She does not listen to me at all. By the time my dh gets home i am seriously pulling my hair out. and i have tried time out, taking toys, tv time nothing is working for me. please help me. i am at my wits end with her.

mami_april

Asked by mami_april at 2:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to be more assertive, if you don't fix this now while she is three, then the rest of your life will be hell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• just do not give in!! tell when she starts screaming tell you will not listen to her and pug your ears and walk away. JUST DO NOT GIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I know how u feel :( My 3 yr old has always had an attitude, I guess it is her personality. When she was an infant she would scream alot and the docs told me it wasnt colic, "she just has an attitude" I was like WTF!! She can be as cute and cuddly as can be and then she is a little diva. She is also a middle child, I dont know how much that has to do with it. Her new thing lately is saying "I can do whatever I want to" with her head shaking at me. I think it is funny most of the time. The main thing I would say is try to ignore it if at all possible. Usually she just goes back to being "normal" if I dont give in.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 2:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• When my Girls do that I ask them to talk nice and mom might get it for you but if you talk like that I won't from then on through to day if they don't talk nice then I just act like I did not even hear them and after a couple of days with mom not talking to them very much they figured out they need to talk nice if they want my attention. Their dad sometimes told them I bet if you talk nice to momma she will get you what you want or help you with what you want. but He NEVER got them what they wanted inless they asked him nice either (which that is not going to happen).
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Never give her what she demands under the described circumstances. Tell her to respect Mommy. This will be hard to deprogram but you've taught her that if she screams she'll get what she wants. You need to put your foot down and say enough of this crap. Who cares if she screams until she's blue, it won't hurt her and you won't have to do it forever, she'll learn. I say repeat the time outs until she understands we aren't moving for two days until she can behave and see the consequences of bad behavior.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• The first scream of NO I WANT IT NOW, I would give her a warning and tell her its not ok to talk to you this way and when she starts again, put her in time out. Nanny 911 it!! watch some of those shows. they are great for these kids!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• thank you guys you are giving me some great advice!!!! Please keep it coming!
    mami_april

Answer by mami_april at 5:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• dont know if this will help but it worked on mine. I have a 3 yr old and she started that and i put a stop to it very easily. DO YOU HAVE A BABY GATE STILL? LOL put her in her room and take away everything. NO tv and like u have before but walk away after u put the gate up. where she cant see or hear u. tell her if she is gonna act like a baby she will be treated like one. it worked on mine. after the 2nd time. she realized momma wasn't gonna tolerate it.
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i really like that, i am gonna go out and get a baby gate. one that can not be broken! lol. I am gonna try it and i will let you know how it works.
    mami_april

Answer by mami_april at 2:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009