How do you control the amount of toys your child has?

We try not to buy her too many but then birthdays and christmas come around and she gets more toys. How do you sort through them and determine which ones to keep and which ones to give away? It's hard to give the toys away that were given as gifts.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Every year before Christmas I sit down with my children and explain to them about their being children in this country whose families don't have much money and can't buy them toys. Then we go through their old toys and pick out toys that we have "outgrown" or don't play with much. We donate the toys to charity in order to make room for our new toys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• That's a good idea!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Have a garage sale. Let the kids keep the money to take with them to the toy store.

They will sell what they don't want.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 3:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My children are still young so it is very easy to set aside a bunch of things to either open in a few months or donate. We end up donating a bunch during the winter holiday season. We also rotate our toys. We have a few boxes of toys we rotate out of the attic every month...each time we bring out a new box the children believe they are new toys! They are so excited to play with toys they haven't seen in 6 months....this is also a great way to keep a limited number of toys around the house.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 3:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My sister in law she told me she stores toys and then swaps ever once in a while. I on the other will go through sometimes before christmas or his birthday not all the time. He just has a ton of stuff and I have tried to get rid of it but it is hard. I guess we will have it until he is 18.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• My daughter is 2 but we have tons. I plan on having another, so I went thorugh and packed up all the baby toys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I don't feel guilty about getting rid of things that were received as gifts. I don't expect people to hang on to the things that I give their kids forever. I just hope the kids enjoy them for a while before they outgrow them.

My kids have a hard time sorting out toys on their own, so I do it when they are not around. I know what they play with and what they don't, and unless it's something really nice that they might grow into playing with later, if they don't play with it, it goes. We bag them up and donate them to Salvation Army. We have limited space for storage. I do a clear out before Christmas and birthdays, and as needed when they start to overflow the space we have available for toys.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I like anon's answer. We do it twice a year though.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009