How can I get my 5 year old boy to stop wetting the bed?

He was potty trained late, I didn't want to rush him because I was afraid this would happen so I let him go in the toilet when he wanted to. When he was finally potty trained he never wet the bed, we went a little over a year with not one accident. Then out of no where one day at my dad's he wet the bed. I thought it was weird but didn't think much of it, he has been non-stop wetting the bed ever since, at least 4 times a week if not more. I stopped drinks an hour and a half before bed and make him go to the bathroom right before bed. When he does pee the bed I don't make him feel bad, I tell him I understand and so on then I make him change his own sheets, which he is fine with. I need help. If you ladies have any advice please share. Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I used to have to wake my dd (more like carry her) into the bathroom about 2 hrs after she fell asleep it solved the problem. she would sleep throught the whole process, but it is because she slept like a rock that she couldnt feel if she needed to go.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You can also just put pull ups on he until he has many dry nights in a row. My step son wore pull ups to bed until he was almost 11. He just would not wake up if he had to go, and the doctor was not worried. So we did pull ups instead of changing the sheets all the time.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Have you had him evaluated by a doctor to make sure he has nothing physically wrong with him causing him to wet the bed? Do NOT punish him, put a pullup on when he goes to bed. A lot of boys wet the bed well into puberty because their bladders are not fully developed. Talk to the doctor about what you can do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Many kids wet the bed for a long time. And it's nothing they can change... they just grow out of it. It's usually because they sleep so deep that they just don't wake when they have the urge to go.
    Put him in a GoodNights bed time diaper and just give it time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• make sure this isn't linked to other health issues, and rule out that there was no abuse that could trigger this behavior. Also check out www.stopwetting.com. GL!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We have this problem with my 10 yr old SS. He started doing this about 3 yrs ago. Take your son to the doctor and have he checked out. You need to rule out anything medical first. Most likely it's probably just that your son sleeps heavily (like mine) and doesn't wake up when he gets the urge to go. It might also be an emotional thing because with my SS everytime he gets a letter from his birth mother that night he'll have an accident. (I'm sure that's not it though). For my son we have put down the protective lining on the bed (youcan't tell it's there when the bed has it's sheet on it) and that helps with the mattress. But after taking my son to the doctor she has told us of how common it is for boys to wet the bed. It's just that most parents don't talk about it b/c of how embaressed the kids are. Good luck though
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2009