is is ok to give a 7 week old water

my mother in law told me this last weekend that i needed to start giving my 7 week old son at leat 1 ounce of water a day, babies get board with just milk.  I think that breast milk gives baby all they need nutrionally.  Am I wrong?

mommyofHF

Asked by mommyofHF at 2:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies get bored with just milk? is she a baby who knows this for a fact? lol. no babies dont get bored with milk! and breastmilk, remember what you eat goes to the baby through the milk, so he is being introduced to a lot of flavors! not the same old boring taste of formula!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You are right to question it and SHE is wrong. Babies don't need water. It's empty calories and will take the place of nutrition they need. Ask you pediatrician.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Nothing but breastmilk!

Any water at all before 6 months old can be dangerous and my pediatrician says it can cause seizures!

Please do not give your baby water and be sure you MIL knows not to do it behind your back. Call your pediatrician to confirm.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I gave my children at that age water only b/c it helped them burp. I was very worried about colic and did everything I could to make sure they were burping at every feeding. I found that if I gave them 1/2 to 1 ounce of water, it would help them tremendously. Now I didn't give them water at every feeding or even every day. I did it when I noticed them being a little more gassy than usual or if they haven't had a good burp in a while.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 2:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Water is not empty calories, it has no caloric value. Generally, no they do not need it at this age, unless recommended by your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Water can kill infants...no water til 6 months atleast...water intoxication, lok it up
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Totally unnecessary, and potentially dangerous.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2009