anyone know what I can give my 6 week old for constipation?

Every morning around 3/4am he just gets so frustrated trying to poop, didn't know if/what I can do to help him

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast milk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I know a magnesium deficiency can cause constipation. I have no idea the dose for such a little one, though. Talk with a holistic medicine doctor.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 3:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• ok to clarify I formula feed (NO BASHING, if you want to bash do it somewhere else please), he does poop daily but he's literally upset and awake for a good 3 - 4hours a night trying to poop. I just want to make it easier on him.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Okay Anon - that may be a wonderful way to help constipation, but maybe, just maybe she doesnt BF!

You can try a LITTLE water OR when my lo was tiny we had to give him suppostories. It worked and it was fast......
    aussiesma

Answer by aussiesma at 3:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Oh, and I totally forgot.... this product also works and can be given to little ones:

www.coliccalm.com
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 3:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Cranberry juice but you need to delute it with a little water for that young of child.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You may also want to talk to the dr about switching formulas.
    aussiesma

Answer by aussiesma at 3:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my son was constipated around 8 weeks and the doctor said to give him a little prune juice so i got the gerber prune and apple juice and it worked!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• PURPULbutterfly - how much did you give him? 1/2 ounce? once/day?
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• We just added a little water to his diet. If that didn't help we'd give him some watered down apple or prune juice. At 7 yo he still has problems from time to time. Best to talk to your Ped though. There could be an underlaying issue.
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 4:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009